PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Zoo's ?

theshad
04/30/2003, 06:12 PM
I know there is another thred with some Canadians in it but I wanted to start a new one for easy access.

We the Canadians are in need of some good quality and colourfull Zoo's

Does any one know of any United States or Canadian Dealers that have the correct import/export papers so the Canadians can enjoy these beautiful creatures?

Any Canadians that have Zoo's that would be willing to trade or sell a few very small frags to fellow Canadians?

Canadian's post your Zoo Pics and let us know if you would be willing to part with a few.

deacon hemp
05/01/2003, 03:23 PM
theshad i agree with you i'm from vancover and i rarely see color morph zoo's all we get are the most common one's over and over again.I just come here to drool at all the lucky folks and there neon zoo's! @%$#$%*'s sorry i'm jealous,i'm a zoo fiend.

christyf5
05/03/2003, 12:25 AM
Hello fellow Canadians :D

Yes it is rather difficult to get nicely colored zoos around here isn't it. I managed to stumble upon some nice orange ones a few weeks ago, not to mention a tank tour I went on in Victoria, BC and scarfed zoos from almost every tank (SPS people are so willing to part with them ;) ).

Here are the ones I have. I'm mostly interested in trading. We could try the thermos thing during the warmer months.

http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/greenorangezoos.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/orangezoos.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/pinkcenteredzoos.jpg

Just the orange ones are good to go right now. The others are just small patches I've aquired in the past month or so. There are more on my website, the pictures were just too big to post here:

more zoos (http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68)

Christy :)

Newflee
05/03/2003, 12:40 AM
I'm interested in being able to exchange stuff too guys. I'll take a pic of my zoos and post it for you. Do you have any interest in ricordia or sps exchanges? Let me know if you want to see pics of them. Nothing groundbreaking but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Lee

christyf5
05/03/2003, 12:42 AM
Yes by all means, post some pics Newflee. What do you have for SPS??
Christy :)

Newflee
05/03/2003, 01:04 AM
Currently I have 5 very nice tri color acro frags. Each frag is at least a 1.5 inch 3 stem frag. Some are more plating style with a couple twigs. I also have a couple small (1" square) frags and some larger plates of a really cool hydnophora in neon green. This hyd is a real plater. I bought a small frag a year ago and it's grown to at least 10x. Grows like a montipora.
Right now if you want ricordia you will have to wait or buy a rock too, but I usually catch 3 or 4 drifting around every now and then. I put a couple beauties through the coffee grinder the other day and hope to have numerous grandchildren within a few months but who knows.
This tech works well on Disc. mushrooms for me but I have never tried it with Ricordia before. I also have bright red and green stripe mushrooms for trade always. These I can send as free living polyps.

Anyone who is interested in exchanging (AND KNOWS HOW TO PACK AND SHIP) PM me with a list of what you have and what you want.

Lee (Winnipeg)

Ps. If any of you cats from BC can get me a Wolf eel juvinile (or adult), I will come out to pick it up and bring you a really nice reefwarming gift! I have a chilled tank of temperate species just waiting. Which makes me ask the question. Have you guys ever seen the stuff living on your doorstep? In my opinion the invertibrate life in cold water is more interesting. Fish are pretty drab though.....except for my favorite of all time....wolf eel.

Newflee
05/03/2003, 01:45 AM
here's a pic of a large frag (colony) of the tri color.

Newflee
05/03/2003, 01:49 AM
sorry.,,Here it is.

Newflee
05/03/2003, 01:54 AM
And here's one of some ricordia and some paly. It seems that people don't like pal but I like it more than zoo.

BTW that's a baby ricordia. Hasn't yet learned how to kill.

Newflee
05/03/2003, 01:56 AM
Sh*t..... I did it again. Don't they have an edit feature?
Anyway here it is.

Newflee
05/03/2003, 02:12 AM
Here's a general shot of stuff. Ricordia, zoos, pal, anemones, critters etc.
Old pic but you get the idea. Any trades?

deacon hemp
05/05/2003, 03:27 PM
Hey there fellow nuckers

christyf5 I would love to get some of those green orange zoo's i would trade anything for em!also the pink center's.i would take a ferry to pick them up!LOL i can get almost any sps frags you could want but i can never find zoo's i can get lots of different softies as well.

Newflee i agree with you about the temperate invert tanks they are indeed way more interesting.my local aquarium has got me hooked on them!the guy at my lfs said they were illegal to have,but that people set them up anyway?i dunno.how would you aquire coldwater inverts besides diving yourself?

Newflee
05/05/2003, 07:39 PM
The funny thing is, when I lived in Vancouver (while attending UBC) I wasn't into this hobby or diving. I majored in wreck beach and women. Now that I have been into both for many years I regret not taking advantage of it. Of course back then was pre trickle filter era, so keeping anything alive would have been magic.
I am in Vancouver every now and then and have contemplated at least bringing some coralline algae species home with me to see how well they would do in a warmer environment - I suspect they would be ok. If I ever have need to drive from Vancouver to Winnipeg (it could happen) I would drive a couple hand wrestled wolf eels and inverts home in my mobile life support system. aka: cooler, inverter and air pump. Some Plumose anenomes would be really neat too.

Lee

Flatlander
05/06/2003, 12:06 PM
Hi Lee,
Just wanted to say hi. Nice to see another Manitoba reefer on the board. I live in Onanole near Clear Lake. {Riding Mountain National Park}

Twist N Go
05/06/2003, 02:52 PM
Canadian Zoos? Do they wear mounty hats and ride around on seahorses?

theshad
05/11/2003, 01:34 PM
at least us canadians don't have to worry about using chillers since we all live in igloos and have to ride dog sleds to the LFS.

Jimbo327
05/11/2003, 05:01 PM
I think it's time you guys move to the US. :D

Jim

Devin98
05/14/2003, 07:34 AM
Hey well I am in Brampton, Ontairo about 20 mins always from Trontro I was wondering if anyone wants to do some trades, I have a lot of frags ready, from leathers, to zoo's to mushroom to SPS, just let me know what you have, and what you are looking for!

Thanks
-Devin

sand man dan
05/15/2003, 06:45 PM
any of you canadians from terrace b.c.
sandmandan

LUIGI c.
05/18/2003, 12:58 AM
this is forum where people have the same interest for the fish, and not where people make fun of the other.....
God bless America and save the Queen... how is this ha?:lol:

sand man dan
05/18/2003, 09:20 AM
i wasnt making fun. i was wondering if you was from around terrace. i stayed there once for a couple of months. was the best time i ever had i have some relatives that live there had more but they all died and havent seen the remaining in a long time. i was going to say that if you were from around there i was wanting to get word to my cousin and to tell him hello. the canadian land is so beautiful and so clean and is like a heaven on earth. i can remember the first time i got into canada we was going through the rolling plaines i was in a tranceit was so amazing i love that country. believe me i would be one of the last persomns in this world to knock the canadians. my only living grandfather is french canadian. my cousin the son ofd his dead brother is canadian indian. so theres no slamming or making fun of here. love the canadian accent on you canadian women also a real turn on.
believe me after my stay in canadian for three months i was very very disappointed when i came back to the states.
danny

LUIGI c.
05/19/2003, 11:41 AM
I thought that the conversation was getting hot, hahahaa...
I had to say it ,:D

BY THE WAY IS THERE ANY LFS HERE IN CANADA THAT HAS ZOO'S?????? :furious: :mad:

OR REEFKEEPERS THAT WANT SELL FRAGS????? :mad2:

THANKS GUYS........

Nicholas Ang
05/22/2003, 04:28 AM
http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/greenorangezoos.jpg
:eek1: tis is very nice

deacon hemp
05/22/2003, 09:16 PM
i finally got my hands on some nice color morph zoo's,i lucked out with the right time right place. they were originally from walt smith!:bum:

LUIGI c.
05/22/2003, 09:20 PM
HI Deacon,
where did find the frags???
I live in Hamilton and I havent find any, only the green and orange ones,:eek1:

Duce
05/25/2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by LUIGI c.
this is forum where people have the same interest for the fish, and not where people make fun of the other.....
God bless America and save the Queen... how is this ha?:lol:

Totally cool:cool:

Twist N Go
05/26/2003, 09:25 PM
Any reef mounties on this board?

shortee
05/30/2003, 01:59 PM
I live ouside of London and am willing to drive a couple of hours for zoos, as i cannot find any around here. I do not have any zoos but would love some. So if anyone is willing to sell me some frags that be great.

theshad
05/30/2003, 02:09 PM
Although you are really should not cross the border with any undclared items but just wondering if anyone has had any luck or not?

Just thinking that it may be an option to say go to a LFS in Buffalo and see what one can get.

shortee
05/30/2003, 02:21 PM
I was thinking of driving to Detroit to pick some up and trying to sneek them across the border but wondering what would happen if i was caught. I've brought DTV systems across the border many times. One of my friends got caught bringing a system across and it was confiscated nothing else happend. It's not like drugs or guns, zoos arn't illegal here nor there just can't bring them across. I only live a little over an hour from Detroit.

theshad
05/30/2003, 02:25 PM
exactly what I was thinking. I have seen what the Us charges for some of the small zoos and if the worst thing that happens is that they take them off me then I think I could afford to loose the $20.00 in order to get some decent colours introduced into Canada.

There are also a few reef clubs in the detroit area as well as the buffalo area, it may even be qworth going to one of their auctions.

shortee
05/30/2003, 02:31 PM
I was thinking of going to this.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=194847

still gotta run it buy the wife.

Newflee
05/30/2003, 04:04 PM
I would think twice about doing that guys. Zoos are protected by CITES and a couple zoos might as well be a trunk full of acro. If your going to risk getting caught and fined you might as well make it worth your time. And don't think that those little small town border crossings are any easier, the customs agents know how to identify a protected species better than you think.
Also if you get caught smuggling an undeclared controlled species, be prepared to be torn appart every time you cross the border in the future (that includes future air travel too).
If you declare an item, but play stupid you will be in much better shape than if you don't declare at all and get caught. For example I have brought LR over the border and called it "aquarium decorations". They didn't look at it and I paid the duty and taxes on it as though it were any kind of decoration. If questioned I would become stupid all the sudden. If your flat out smuggling it is hard to play stupid. Make sure you have a good reciept from the seller and put on your best "I'm an honest aquarium geek and want to pay my taxes on these decorations face".

shortee
05/30/2003, 07:15 PM
Smuggling who said anything about smuggling. Someone stashed them there officer?:mixed:

Newflee
05/30/2003, 07:17 PM
Could always use the old standard "I'm just holding onto them for a friend":lol:

Twist N Go
06/01/2003, 11:58 PM
How goes the mounties?