PDA

View Full Version : MN LFS list

lilswanwillow
04/30/2003, 05:51 PM
I wanted to compile a list of LFS's here in MN... so, here it starts (with a rating 1-5, 1 being great, 5 being only bare-bones salt)

Bemidji:
Friendly Fins 5 (has LR, no salt fish, and they carry SMALL boxes of salt mix)
Pet Zone 4 (no LR, have fish that don't look the best, and can order exotics if pressed...)

Grand Rapids:
Pet North 2 (Has everything, and if they don't have it, they can get it; but they don't carry coral, you have to special order it, and the workers think they know everything... humph, yeah....)

Cohasset:
some little store, used to have fish, dunno anymore 5

wsm #59
04/30/2003, 06:12 PM
Park Rapids--4 Deep Blue Sea-- all right fish choices, some or no corals, can order but they seem to never get it in

Detroit Lakes-- 2 Becker Pet and Garden- great choices and prices, numerous tanks with corals, and nice looking fish

whit

Russel
05/01/2003, 08:56 AM
st cloud:

petco[2]: best supplies, fish are ok, only live rock-no reef, rock doesn't look that good.
petsmart[1]:no salt water pets, best prices on what they do have though(up to 25%less than petco's price)
crossroad pets [3]: prices are much higher, but they carry corals and all sorts of critters. also, they have the most variety of fish.

FastFish720
05/03/2003, 02:32 PM
Richfield: Something Fishy and World of Fish. Both good stores although WOF is pricy. Something Fishy has everything, best store in MN.

Premier Pets in Ramsey Minnesota

benihana
05/04/2003, 07:11 AM
premier pets 3 helpful, but not knowledgeable staff

WOF 1 have cool displays, but high prices, and not very helpful

Something fishy 5 low prices, will answer any question, extremely helpful, knowledgeable and friendly!! They get my vote for best salt store in MN also

Benihana:strooper:

FastFish720
05/04/2003, 07:52 AM
Yea at Premier Pets the only people that know stuff is the manager chris and chad. I know chris since one of my friend's brother is best friends with him.

They have been firing a lot of people, I am thinking about getting a job there over the summer, since I am someone that knows saltwater.

benihana
05/04/2003, 09:08 AM
cool, maybe I will see you there

Turf
05/08/2003, 07:06 PM
World of Fish in Duluth -- 3 -- They have some fish/inverts and some softies/LPS, but some of the stuff is a good deal over priced. They get what ever you need.

lilswanwillow
05/08/2003, 08:43 PM
the OTHER duluth store... petco!!!
hehe, they are good priced, but don't listen to the workers.... they also have some nice fish, and some bad ones. I got my featherdusters there for 3 bucks cheaper than I would have in Grand Rapids, and 10 bucks cheaper than Mail Order.

EdgeKrusher
05/09/2003, 05:24 PM
I agree Something Fishy is great. Though I've had several bad experiences there. I won't go anywhere else unless I need a special Item. I just wish they would carry sailfert tests.

maybe well see each other in passing.

Peace
Edge:D

sainty333
05/09/2003, 08:02 PM
There is another LFS near Duluth (not technically in MN but only 10 mins. across the bridge into superior). Its called Aquahut, a few corals, some inverts and a decent selection of fish. Will occasionally bring in some great items(ie. majestic,queen angels,anthias etc.)Staff has a decent knowledge of saltwater and Brad will special order for you.They have a good variety of tanks up to 220 gallon and the rest of the drygoods are decent. Nice selecion of frozen foods and good prices.

EdgeKrusher
05/09/2003, 08:53 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention AquaLand in Hopkins, MN. Thye have a good selection of tanks, a nice selection of fish, not much LR, but the employees are very knowledgeabe and helpful.

Jive Turkey
05/09/2003, 09:28 PM
The three stores in St. Cloud are lousy. PetCo has some dry goods and fish, lots of Ocellaris clowns.
The two stores in Richfield are too pricey for me. I began to order online and don't visit anymore although maybe I should. I never really saw the place full of nice corals, and I visited 7-8 times.
In fact, my favorite store in the Twin Cities WAS Reptile World, on Nicollet, until they closed last Oct. They had quality goods for a decent prices, colorful liverock for $5 a lb., and a nice selection of Pygmy Angels. Not to mention, 50% off closeout sale.

Voodoochild
05/28/2003, 11:34 AM
Just re-affirming past posts. Something Fishy has ok service but great stuff (you can't beat the help yourself LR bin) so if I were to buy corals I'd buy from them.
Premier Pets has sold me my first LR and fish. The LR is ok, but he sells it for fairly cheap (though right now he's asking like $15.99 for some stuff I wouldn't pay $9 for). His fish though are always eating and are doing great in my tank. Good freshwater too if you can find a healthy specimen.
I used to like World of Fish but they're so freakin' cocky when you do finally flag down someone that I just take my business elsewhere.
Forest Lake Pets 2-Great stuff, huge selection, a bit higher prices

EdgeKrusher
05/28/2003, 12:28 PM
Found another in Applevalley. It's called A Wet Pet. Prices are fair, haven't seen an LR, but the fish look healthy and the corals are fairly priced. The staff is friendly and willing to offer good advice. Also has a good selection of Freshwater Fish.

Peace:smokin:

EdgeKrusher
05/30/2003, 09:00 AM
Hey all,
I'm compiling a list of all the LFS locations and comments in the minnesota area. If you would please put comments (Pros, Cons) about each store in your area that would be welcome. Everything I already have the list made, address, cities, but I would like to add detailed comments so us minnesotans know where to go to get the good stuff, and which to avoid. We all hate wasting time and money so I hope this will be benefical to all.
When completed I will post it on my web site, and will email the list upon request in Excel format. I am sticking with Lilswanwillow's ranking system with 5 being excellent and 1 being the worst. I noticed that some may have misunderstood her system, so if they would like to make corrections please do so. I don't want to have people avoiding a great store and getting ripped off and then chewing me out cuz their livestock died on the 5 minute trip home.

Thanks

Edge

lilswanwillow
05/30/2003, 10:35 AM
actually, it started out as: with a rating 1-5, 1 being great, 5 being only bare-bones salt
the first two or three posts were that way....

the others switched.
oh well
the comments tell if its good or not, so just read through the comments...

EdgeKrusher
05/30/2003, 10:37 AM
K, I'll just do with what I have, if anyone has anything to add please let me know. I'll inform everyone when the list is up.

tyler
05/30/2003, 03:58 PM
in moorhead, the only place that carries sw is K9 Country Club. I find their staff to be helpful and friendly. prices are fair as far as fish go, but the coral seems to be a bit on the high side. most fish and corals appear healthy, though their coral tank is infested with some bizzare anemone. lr is 7/lb and appears to be of decent quality. also a nice selection of puppies :D

fahz
06/02/2003, 09:45 PM
Forest lake pets has great prices on Oceanic tanks, stands, etc.
Saved $400 over LFS. Quoted prices over phone ordered with nothing down and had equipment in three days. Coral LR and fish just OK.

Fahz

FastFish720
06/03/2003, 06:50 AM
Yea I was there and I got a light fixture. I did a little bit of haggling with them. Good Coral tanks but bad LR selection.

rardijoh
06/16/2003, 10:39 PM
Dont forget about WET WORLD in eagan, THey by far have the best tanks set up in the area.

I give them a 2

THere prices are high but for that matter every store I have ever been to in the cities prices are a joke

EdgeKrusher
06/16/2003, 11:21 PM
It's been added.

Edge

Crevalle
06/17/2003, 01:31 PM
Something Fishy is a great store, but yes, overpriced (don't even get me started on WOF--$10 for a turbo snail!). There's something out-of-whack when I can buy and have shipped (overnight) a coral beauty for less than a local store is asking for one. I've probably ordered about ten times from (then) FFexpress, and it's saved me a lot of money. Sad but true.

fahz
07/30/2003, 09:37 PM
There is a new fish store in Superior Wisconsin on Thirteen and Tower Ave in the basement of Superior Stove Works entrance on the side. Summer hours M-F 9-5:30 Saturday 10-3.

Grand opening in a month but they are open for business now. Bryan and his partner run the place and they are willing to please the customer. They are new so don't expect a lot but they had very nice cured LR at a good price. Bryan said they will have excellent prices on dry goods and are willing to special order. Stop in and take a look around.

Fahz

EdgeKrusher
07/31/2003, 10:10 AM
Cool this will be added to the list which can be found at The Reefer (http://www.ambuscaded.com/edge) Just click on the LFS List link on the left.
Thanks for the info fahz!

Peace

Edge

sls
07/31/2003, 02:45 PM
i cant remember the name but its the pet store in harmar. have good variety of fish and corals descent prices.(one of the cheapest stores around.) 25% off all fish on mondays, but the staff doesnt seem too knowledgable, not much drygoods and no liverock i give em a 2

EdgeKrusher
07/31/2003, 02:54 PM
You know I lived in Roseville for 18 years of my life, and I totaly forgot about that place. I think they've changed some things. The last time I was in there was about 4 years ago and all they had were freshwater fish. I do remember them hiring highschool kids and they don't really care they just want their paycheck. It will be added. I belive the name is Har-Mar pet shop but I could be wrong. I'll have the correct info on the LFS page. Thanks for the info sls.

EdgeKrusher
07/31/2003, 03:14 PM
fahz,
Could you pm me with the address and name of the Store?

Thanks

sls,
Har-Mar Pet Shop has been added to the list at The Reefer (http://www.ambuscaded.com/edge).

Peace

edge:smokin:

sls
07/31/2003, 04:07 PM
They did change it around quite a bit. they moved it across the hall and added about 25 saltwater tanks. about half are corals.

fahz
07/31/2003, 04:10 PM
Talked to Bryan again today at Superior Aquarium he's trying to find a good coral and fish supplier even if he has to have it air shipped in. H2O in Minnesota has already let him down as far as shipments. Told me he setup his saltwater tanks several months ago before he opened. He also said he is willing to deal on prices for dry goods and intends to have reasonable prices on coral and fish which is a plus.

Fahz

EdgeKrusher
08/01/2003, 07:47 AM
sls,
Now you tempt me. Ahhhh it's such a long drive, but I guess It's a good excuse to see the parents if I'm in the area.

Peace

Edge:smokin: