PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater dips?

cabowabo
03/19/2001, 07:50 PM
I recently gave a yellow tang a freshwater dip that did not eliminate the 'black spot disease'. I adjusted temp and PH and kept him in for 3 min. Is this long enough? A friend gave him to me and at quick glance it looked o.k., but I dipped him anyway. Two days later in the quaranteen tank I noticed a few black spots. Either the dip did not work or it happened after the dip. I have never had any other fish in this tank. What do ya think? Thanks for any feedback.

Jeffry
03/20/2001, 10:15 AM
try to give your fish Triple Sulphate, Copper sulphate.
Repeat give every day until the black spot disappeared.
Wait for 1 week. Note,every two week change 50% water.

billsreef
03/20/2001, 10:31 AM
Better than all those drugs (the triple sulpher is useless on black spot BTW) is to use hyposalinity for a couple of weeks. I've found that to be effective on several cases of black spot over the last couple of years and less stressfull than full blown FW dips.

FMarini
03/20/2001, 03:22 PM
Hi:
I'm w/ Bill on this one....If you go back thru the archive(use the search command at the top). Hyposalinity is a more effective treatment for this black spot than freshwater dips. The dips do nothing but stress the fish ot, and unfortunately the parasite is usually so deeply buried into the skin of the fish that the dips do little.
my opinion
frank

cabowabo
03/20/2001, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys. I will give the hyposalinity method a try.