PDA

View Full Version : remember when....you're first tank

ladymagicka
04/29/2003, 04:12 PM
I'm so excited,, this is my first tank, water, live sand, salt. calcium, and who knows whatelse. everything seems ready to go..no catastrophe's yet, not that i plan on any :rollface: it's the most beautiful tank of water..now the fun begins,,,, live rock, snails and hermit crabs...i got it... i've been dreaming fish, coral, full tanks showing up out of nowhere in my house... lol.. i think i've got it bad... Anybody remember those days.. share here....

jdmarano
04/29/2003, 05:48 PM
I remember those days...restraint from overloading was the hardest thing to do...of course the checkbook can help with that :bounce2:

ThingsReef
04/29/2003, 06:23 PM
Those days??? Can't stop! From reading your post I guess you think they'll go away...Think again

jdmarano
04/29/2003, 07:56 PM
Trust me, I'm always thinking about the next thing, whether it be the next coral, next piece of equipment, or the next tank :spin1:

ladymagicka
04/29/2003, 08:04 PM
i am definitely an extremist, always have been, so doing this and going slow in the beginning to let things settle etc.. .so tough,, i just want it happening already, i'm sure my checkbook will be helping with that too....:mixed: 3

minh_han
04/29/2003, 08:06 PM
I'm definitely no better. I keep on wanting that next coral. It's terrible. I've been good enough to not go out and buy things. But, I have gotten a number of small frags from reefers. Actually, Jason's colt coral frag was anything but small. I had to re-suture it to the rock tonight.

My next purchase is a school of five blue reef chromis as my first fish. Do y'all think I need to get egg crate for the top of the tank before I get the fish? And if yes, then should I get the white plastic type or the metalic type?

jdmarano
04/29/2003, 08:11 PM
I don't know much about metallic egg crates, but I'd recommend the ons made from recycled material...and they can be found in larger sizes, since they are sometimes made to hold 2 dzn eggs in one tray.

I'd stay away from adding chromis or damsels to your tank at this point Minh, at least not more than 1-2. They'll take up room and create more waste and then when you want to add more fish and ultimately get rid of the chromis you'll have a nightmare cathching them:furious:

bdr127
04/29/2003, 08:35 PM
Minh... I'm sure others know about your tank setup, but I'm new here, so pardon my questions.... Has your tank cycled yet? If you're adding chromis to cycle, I would recommend against it. Try using raw shrimp from the supermarket... just as effective and doesn't put a living thing through ammonia spikes. :) If your tank has cycled, then nevermind. ;) If you plan on keeping the chromis and not getting rid of them later, then that'll be okay.... They are nearly impossible to catch once they are in there. ;)

ladymagicka
04/29/2003, 08:52 PM
ooh,, good idea.. raw shrimp... will that work.. i was hearing something about needing to buy a fish and letting it die.... just not in my nature.. so a way around it would be most inspiring...

minh_han
04/29/2003, 08:54 PM
My tank's cycled, so that's not a problem. I was thinking about just keeping the chromis in there. But if not, then what first fish would you recommend?

Danielle, you could use raw shrimp, but b/c you're getting uncured rock, the die off from the rock will automatically cycle your tank. NO worries. And no need to put a fish in there before the tank is cycled either.

ladymagicka
04/29/2003, 09:13 PM
that's right too,, i forgot about that,, thanks.. and yea i know it'll be awhile before i get a fish...:(

bdr127
04/29/2003, 11:26 PM
With uncured LR, there will be die-off that will create an initial ammonia spike, but you need continued ammonia-creation in order for the ammonia-eating bacteria to continue to live.... Once the LR die-off is done giving off ammonia, you'll need something like raw shrimp. Just throw in a piece every couple days... of course, the amount/frequency you need is dependent on the size tank.... A humane way to handle the cycling process.

Minh -- You can certainly keep the chromis! :) I kept a small school of green chromis at one point and loved them. The reason I brought it up was that a lot of people throw chromis in their tank because they are inexpensive, when they really don't even want them.... If you want them, then enjoy them. If you really don't want them, don't throw them in there to only be temporary residents. I guess you could say that about any livestock.... it just happens most often with chromis/damsels because they are inexpensive...

--Brad

jdmarano
04/30/2003, 08:02 AM
I agree with Brad, only keep the chromis in there if you will want them for the long-term. I had good success with a green one (one of 4 original fish cycling fish...didn't know about LR...and it survived 2 moves) and I think they are less aggressive than others.

I just found that there were so many other fish that I preferred to keep and catching these guys admidst your coral and LR may prove futile (but there are tricks to it!)

MNTC
04/30/2003, 11:23 AM
Hey Guy!!!!!! this is the most Stupid hobby in the world, and i will tell you why,spending alot of money, waste alot of time, and it all for nothing, it that answer your question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dburr
04/30/2003, 05:54 PM
Mihn, I think 5 to 7 is a good number for your tank. They do best in a school and I think you will like them. (bout time you got fish for that tank:D ).

MNTC, I should ignore the comment, but... I can see you are NOT a reefer and don't belong here. So go spend your MONEY on the stuff YOU think is worth it and don't WASTE YOUR TIME here. goodbye.

OOPS, Mihn, almost forgot, the eggcrate is a great idea. I use it. It keeps the fish in and my kids toys out.:D :rolleyes: I also have my mag-float attached to it.

HTH

MNTC
04/30/2003, 06:11 PM
hahahahah you know this is stupid hobby, but you can't get out!!!!!!!!!!!!hahahahahahahah you got know that i'm riteeeeeeeeee hahahahahahahah

MNTC
04/30/2003, 06:17 PM
oh Minh there nothing wrong with my tank thank for asking , i'm just thiking this is the most crazy hobby , hhihi my first tank is 110 gallon second is 150 third is 155 then i got out off the hobby , i told my my never coming back to the hobbie again, but i end up start another one, but i do thing this is the stupid hobby, but you can't get out!!!!!! hihahihihihihi

minh_han
04/30/2003, 10:05 PM
Ok, MNTC, I have to say that there is medication that might help your condition. :) Come see me in my office. We have a nice comfortable couch that you can lie on and tell me about your childhood and your relationship with your parents. :rolleyes:

And about the egg crate. Should I get the white plastic or the metalic type?

Well, as soon as JP gets the chromis, I'll let everyone know how it goes. And since I have a 125, I can afford space wise to have a small school of chromis and still get a royal gramma (maybe a pair), a regal tang, and a mandarin. Maybe one or two other things. Moray eel maybe...Just kidding.

ez1ez
05/01/2003, 01:42 AM
:confused: :mad2: :eek1: :confused: A new canopy... 4 54w T5's 2-10,000k, 2-actinic. no no no, A 250w metal halide. hmmm this calcium reactor should be first...yeah ok.... naaahhhh I'll get the scott's wrasse hmmmmm.... Minh... it all started when I bought my first 10g...........

MNTC
05/01/2003, 07:48 AM
hhahahhaa Minh is there a naked girl in your office, if you do haved one i'll come over hahahhah

MNTC
05/01/2003, 07:57 AM
i think every one should going to your office to check their mind out , especially you minh, hahahaha tell me this is a cool hobby are what? two Oclock you still haved your hand in the fish tank, moving the live rock , next thing your back is hurt , than next morning you call in sick for work and you thank this is the cool hobby

edited for profanity

gregt
05/01/2003, 12:52 PM
MNTC,

[flamealert]

You are very close to losing your posting privelges based on your last few posts. I suggest you read the UA (http://reefcentral.com/agreement.php) closely and take it to heart before posting again.

dburr
05/01/2003, 09:57 PM
MIHN,
The white stuff. I wouldn't trust the chrome plated stuff, it may flake off.

That guy is nuts, uh.:lol: :rolleyes:

ladymagicka
05/02/2003, 07:01 PM
woooohooooo, first piece of live rock, my tank now in business, ok so I have a long way to go. my waters not as clear as it could be right now.. wondering if its the sand stirring.. it won't hurt the rock, right? :confused: next stop hermit crabs/ and snails

jdmarano
05/02/2003, 09:56 PM
Don't worry about the sand storm, I've had them to the point you cannot even see in the tank. It won't hurt anything, but it may give your filter a work-out...won't hurt that either.

DEEC77
05/04/2003, 04:42 PM
Ladymagicka,

The sand storm will subside in a couple of days, and once you get your bacteria built up on the top layer you should have no problems with sand storms again. Good Luck!!!

~DEE~

ladymagicka
05/04/2003, 06:42 PM
sand storm has subsided, glass just really dirty.. but alas... no Windex... that lesson learned a long long time ago -- Thanks for all the good wishes, I keep staring at my rock, my one piece of rock,,just waiting for something to move... I'm figuring this hobby is giving new meaning to procrastination...cause really you have to just watch your tank sometimes... hee hee, who relates? LOL

ladymagicka
07/04/2003, 05:05 PM
Hi, i'm so excited.... i finally my first piece of coral... xenia,,red.. it's pretty....4 damsels.2 domino, 2 yellow tail.... a cloud of culerpa hanging over my rock...hmmmm.... can only go up from here... the water changing thing though... posed more of a challenge than i thought.. .it's all screwed up now...sump, skimmer, salt level... nothing seems to be working right...Sam... heellllllpppppp....:eek1: :lol: there's definately hope though,,, my fish are still alive it's been almost 3 weeks...:cool:

dburr
07/04/2003, 05:21 PM
Whats wrong with the sump, skimmer and salt level?

Suggestions for SG. (salt level.) If it's to high add RO or DI water. If it to low take out some water and add alittle salt to it, poor it slowly back in. I target mine at 1.024/1.025.
Once your SG is correct, mark your sump with tape or magic marker at the water level. This makes adding top off water easy. Add water to the level you marked.:D
Doing water changes is easy if you always use the same bucket. Put in the same that you take out. Make sure the SG is the same as the tank. The temp sould also be the same(or close). Most people mix the water 24 hours ahead of time. Newly mixed salt can be hard on the gills.

HTH, got some pics?

Dan.

ladymagicka
07/04/2003, 05:56 PM
now there's new info,... mixing salt water 24 hrs ahead of time.. my friend failed to mention that one...anyhow.....no pics yet.... I had turned off the power strip while emptying some water, then when i was adding fresh water w/ salt of course... i turned it all back on,, figuring i'm suppose to pour the water in the sump and for it to get to the tank it needs to be on... ok..common sense so far right? well, i know the level i am to keep my water poured to but it's like the tank isn't telling the sump that it has enough water and if i add anymore in order for the sump to be at the level i was told, it seems it will just send it to the tank and it will overflow, protein skimmer stopped working... before i pinched the little green hose from the air pump (i think) for a few secs and it started back up, not this time, should both pumps in the sump be fully submersed in water? .... culerpa,,forget it, it's a little jungle and it feels like floating right now i guess.. regardless of the salt level...oh also,, there doesn't seem to be much or any? water going through bio balls... Thank you soo much,, i'm waiting for my friend to call or help but it's a busy weekend for most i guess....

ladymagicka
07/06/2003, 07:38 PM
Ahhh, running good I think,,, so humbling learning all this...and an award to my saving grace out there...for constantly handling those newbie questions up close and personal, I'm sure having a few choice words now and then,, but choosing other words instead...indeed a friend and a saint....I thank you.....this is nothing..ought to see me play golf...:rollface: