PDA

View Full Version : Pm B2

andycook
04/29/2003, 01:43 PM
I have used a Precision Marine Bullet 2 with a mag18 for nearly a year. The skimmer has performed just short of satisfactory in terms of skimmate produced. It has always been green tea colored skimmate.

In the attempt to skim better I changed to a pressure rated and PM suggested GenX pump. This appears to help but the jury is stil out as I think I finally dialed it in properly last night.

The Gen X pump makes me think I can use a taller riser tube and perhaps a 12" or 18" section of pvc between the beckett and the skimmer box.

Here is my question. Besides the design requirements for height, was there any reason not to use a taller riser tube on the B2 or am I just making the B2 into a B3 or XL? Any other suggestions for the B2?

-Andy

FMarini
05/01/2003, 01:14 PM
Hi Andy:
I never thought the mag 18 was a sufficient pump for a B2, but its sold together becuz the mag18 is inexpensive. IMO any pump that cannot handle backpressure well shouldn't be used on a beckettheaded skimmer. W/ that said since you have purchased a genx/Mak4 pump, your in for a treat. I found this to be the correct size pump for this skimmer and while you can throttle the outflow back, i found no need to. Just adjust the air and water outflow to ensure you get foam starting w/in and 1 or 2 from where the box stops and the reaction tube starts and you'll be in business.
Yes you can add a taller riser tube, it will make this skimmer a B3, thats reall the only difference the taller riser tube allows for more water processing becuz you move more air and the taller riser allows more foam to dry longer.

By the way a Bullet XL is a different beast, it uses tangential injection, and the bubbles pour into the reaction chamber.
Both skimmer work well, the reaction time (or dwell time in the skimmer) increases in the XL.
Does this help
frank

andycook
05/01/2003, 01:24 PM
Hi Frank.

All I can say is that I fell for the Mag18 because it was listed on PM's website as suggested for the B2 albeit 3rd on the list.

Thanks for your time.

-Andy