PDA

View Full Version : Lighting help.

Markk96
04/28/2003, 10:51 PM
I need some help with lighting for a 75Gal tank that is 48 long and 21 Tall.

I will have live rock and eventually some soft corals. I am new to this, and I want to do it right the first time.

I also will be looking at DIY type of lights.

Any thoughts would be very helpful

Thanks
Mark

witche42
04/29/2003, 05:01 PM
hi there,
there are alot of different ways to do your lighting. if you just want the basics, i would go with pc's for the simple reason you don't have to replace the bulbs so often, then later on if you decide to upgrade to mh, you can add that to it. i am a big diy person also, so i bought raw ballast from www.hellolights.com. they have really great deals on all your lighting needs, i have a 150 and a 55, the 55 has 4x55w pc's, they are 2 10k and 2 super actinics, i have enough room still in my canopy to add a mh later on if i decide to. i have them in a diamond shape so my mh wont get in the way of the pc's. you wont have that problem since a 75 is wider. with pc's you will be able to keep starter corals such as mushrooms and green star polyps. if you want a tank with nothing but fish and live rock, your regular 40w hood will work, just pop in a 10k and an 03 bulb.

hth,
steven

Nanook
04/30/2003, 07:25 AM
I personally prefer VHO bulbs to PC bulbs. I have used Icecap without any probs over the last 2 1/2 years, their customer service is hard to beat. If you are a DIY person, you could buy a retrofit kit and build your own canopy.

Nanook

Markk96
04/30/2003, 09:23 AM
This is what I am planning on buying, unless someone says I should not.

http://www.hellolights.com/4lamvhoretki2.html

griss
05/01/2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Markk96
This is what I am planning on buying, unless someone says I should not.

http://www.hellolights.com/4lamvhoretki2.html
Mark,

As I said in our phone conversation. I think you will be pleases with this set up. While they are not as versatile as the Ice Caps, the initial cost is somewhat less. Also, I have heard good reviews of these retro kits.

George

Im Lon 2
05/01/2003, 12:09 PM
I bought the 46.5" setup just like this one. Have not set it up it. How ever now I have to split it apart because I went from a 75gal (48� wide) to a 125gal. (72� Wide) Anyway just like George said, I have never heard anyone complain about this setup. I have heard that the 46.5" fits better in the canopy other than the 48" depending on how it is built that is the Reason I went with that.

HTH