PDA

View Full Version : Tank Size

The Saltwater Kid
04/28/2003, 07:04 AM
I might buy a 55 gallon tank or a 65 gallon tank. Both are at Pet Advantage and jason told me that it would cost me about $300 to switch over from my 29 gallon. My question is this, I don't know if I have room for the 55 gallon because of it's length and the 65 gallon is tall so it actually takes up less space...which one should I get (the price difference is $10)? I know that fish generally prefer to swim horizontally instead of vertically but providing I get a strong enough lightbulb would the 65 gallon be OK? I actually would prefer the 55 gallon but like I said I don't know if my room can accomodate it. Thanks

Tom Berry
04/28/2003, 09:15 AM
Justin,

I think you will find The extra 6" of depth on the 65 nice for adding live rock and other tinkering in the tank. It is also more visually appealing, and would make it easier to upgrade to more powerful lighting in the future. As far as the the fish's swimming, You lose 12 of width but you gain 6" depth so it's pretty much a wash. Between the two I would choose the 65.

As far as lighting goes, The All-Glass 36" hood with 2 55W Power Compact bulbs ($150) is nice. That's what I currently have over my 38. I will probably be selling mine in the fall, as I am upgrading to a 75G tank. With the extra depth of the 65, you could actually fit two hoods on top of the tank. You could use your current one and add another. I also have
an All-Glass 36" hood with 2 30W bulbs that I'm not using if you're interested.

You may want to think about spending the extra money to get a "reef-ready" tank with a pre-drilled overflow and use a sump in the stand underneath. The 65 costs $100 more with the overflow. Here is a link to an excellent article that explains the advantages and disadvantages of using a sump.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.htm

I talked to Jason yesterday. He said you asked about the Marine Fishes book, but they don't have any copies for sale. They have it at Green Mountain Aquarium in Shelburne, or I believe I saw one at Borders in Burlington. You can also order from amazon.com or elsewhere online.

Tom Berry:fish2:

fishfarmer
04/28/2003, 08:26 PM
Go with the 65. I have a 55 and if I had seen that 65 a year ago, I probably would have gone with it instead.

Waterbury Guy
04/30/2003, 02:28 PM
Agree, go 65, and if you can spend the extra $$ for pre-drilled.