PDA

View Full Version : Can Ozonizer eliminate ich in the tank ?

Jeffry
03/18/2001, 12:55 PM
Can Ozonizer kill ich in the tank ?
Do Ozonizer harm invert, coral and biological filtre

FMarini
03/18/2001, 10:25 PM
HI
Well the direct answer is No. Let me explain why...First off Ozone is a very potent form of oxygen, its a extremely reactive oxygen species which can oxidize almost any organic molecule, and also many proteins(which also includes the outer coating of many parasites, fungi, mold, bacteria).
Ozone sterilizers are an effective way to ensure water quality as it makes your skimmer more efficient, and reduces the organice load.
However Ozone is so potent that it must be controlled, in that excess ozone if allowed to go back into the air or into the tank will easily burn gill tissue, and your lungs.
W/ that said
only things which pass thru the ozone stream will be sterilized. So since ich is attached to your fish, ozone will have little/no effect on this, when the ich becomes free swimming and makes it thru your skimmer it can be killed. So ozone is an effective way at reducing bacterial levels, algae levels and parasite levels in your water. If you read my last statement you'll see why many people w/ reef tanks do not want to use ozone, it kills indiscrimately, and will equally kills your good zooplankton, and phytoplanton as well as the bad stuff.
I use one on my fish only tank and i think it reduces the parasite load and also increases my ORP. I feel it works well for my situation (i inject it into my skimmer and I use carbon bags on the outflows (to remove and residual ozone). But it won't stop ich already going in your tank .....nothing short of using copper or long term hyposalinity will
my opinion
frank

billsreef
03/18/2001, 10:25 PM
An ozonizer, like a UV, will only kill what it comes in contact with. In other words it will kill whatever passes through the ozonizer, but not what is in the tank. It can reduce the numbers of free swimming parasites, but it will not eliminate them or be effective as a cure if the fish are already infected. Also an ozonizer is tricky to use, any excess ozone can make it's way into the tank and kill everything.

IMO the best disease control is to use a Q tank for every new fish you purchase and keep the new fish in there for 4-6 weeks and treat as necessary. Anything else is merely playing russian roulette ;)