PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on lighting and slicing shrooms..

madiaz
04/26/2003, 10:39 PM
hello,

lighting is puzzling me. my sister brought me some late one day when i was sleeping and since she does not pay attention she made a few errors when placing them in the tank. well at least she floated them so the temp part was ok but....

anyway she mistakenly poured them in the current and lost them.
days later i found one and placed it mid tank. days later i found the other one on the bottom of the tank under shade of a rock.

the one i placed mid tank has not expanded in 2 weeks. it is very compact and does not open all the way. the one that landed by the rock is fully expanded. in my tank they are about 25 cm and 35 cm away from compacts.

o.k mushrooms like subdued light this is the puzzler.
my sister said that the mushrooms at the dealer were on the top of the tank about 30 cm away from the lights which are metal halide.

she says the shrooms were spectacular with candy stripes on them. in my tank the one closest to the light has very defined stripes but no expansion. the one in subdued light is fully expanded but very little stripe definition and according to my sister is not the same color as when in the dealers. more of a burgandy than greenish.

might this behaviour be caused by lighting / improper acclimatization or something else?

i have not done soft coral propagating yet. which is an eazy way to propagate actinodiscus? these things get really small an slippery.

thank you in advance,
regards,
m.a.d.

mike_ripple
04/27/2003, 06:59 AM
Can you describe your tank size, what kind of lights you have, how much circulation you have, water parameters, etc? Thanks.

madiaz
04/27/2003, 09:17 AM
hi mike.

the tank is 15 gallons 24x12x12-- 1x65 10,000 1x65 actinic 1x55 6400 k
34-35 ppm salinity 79-82 farenheit.
cannot really say about other parameters. all other corals are doing great. i frag calaustrea every 3-4 weeks/ pink corraline on back and pumps healthy macro andsome inverts reproducing like crazy. i am thinking maybe low nitrates but then i think the purple mushrooms would be affected.
pumps is a maxi 900 diverted and an aquaclear mini for swirl.
the mushrooms however are in negligable current.
i have had a purple one since november 02 that has had 2 babies already but these last additional striped mushrooms is what is concerning me.

thanks,
m.a.d.

acroporas
04/27/2003, 06:24 PM
Is there another coral near it that could be stinging it. Some corals have sweeper tentacles more than 6 inches long.