PDA

View Full Version : Essentials to start a propagation system...

PaintGuru
04/25/2003, 11:10 AM
Hi all,

Ok just as a way to make a little (and I do mean little) extra cash, I was thinking of starting a propagation system of some sort in my basement. Nothing too large and expansive, just perhaps a tub the size of those Rubbermade ag. tubs. I know this may sound like a stupid question, but what all do I need to think about getting that would be different from starting a normal reef tank. Obviously I need water (check), salt (check), sand (I can get it), MH light (again I can get it). Would a closed loop be best for circulation? Since it will be in my basement I don't think I will care much on the looks of everything, which is good. Anyone else done this and have recommendations. I would really like to plumb it to my main tank, but I dont think that is very do-able at the moment. Thanks for any suggestions.

griss
04/25/2003, 12:00 PM
Sounds like you have it pretty much thought out. I would include at least a small amount of live rock and sand for filtration along with a decent skimmer. A closed loop would be easy to do with the rubbermaid stock tank and some bulkheads.

Griss

PaintGuru
04/25/2003, 12:05 PM
My thought exactly, and I do have an old LG external pump around somewhere. Probably one of the shallow stock tanks would work best since again I want to maximize light. I'll have to price it out. Of course the other investment would be in "nicer" corals that people would actually want frags of :).

Papajin
04/25/2003, 12:35 PM
A surge device or devices might be nice for a large vat where you don't care about the looks. :)

PaintGuru
04/25/2003, 01:10 PM
Ahh, excellent idea. That is the nice thing about this, I can do ugly DIY stuff that looks crappy but does the job, unlike on a show tank.

TooFar2Sea
04/26/2003, 09:56 PM
Don't forget about controlling water temperature. You will need one heater or more depending on the tub size and the heater rating.

zulu_principle
04/28/2003, 12:21 AM
In a smaller prop tank if you are overstocking and lots of light, cooling is somewhat of an issue.

Again, overstocking can lead to the need for a UV sterilizer.

Surge is the way to go, but consider a seperate closed loop so you can turn it off at night.

Mothers are you biggest problem after you setup.

Make sure you take the time to really look at what everyone else has in your local market.....

Just my 2 cents

Wendell

TJG
04/28/2003, 06:36 AM
I would mostlikly get a CA reactor for it. It would cut down the daily "are my CA levels ok?" worries

crescent1
04/29/2003, 11:03 AM
well im not using it for a grow out tank, but it will work for you with a surge bucket.

SawCJack00
04/30/2003, 02:28 PM
For convenience and cost, it's very nice to tie it in to your main system if possible. For one you don't need additional calcium supplementation, and you also don't need to acclimate your frags to diferent water conditions. My prop tanks and display tank are all on the same system but can be seperated via ball valves if necessary.

SawCJack00
04/30/2003, 02:29 PM
Oh yeah, and watch your humidity in the basement too. with a big open vat, you may next and air exchanger, or dehumidifier if it gets too bad.