PDA

View Full Version : Where do you keep your money?

grizz
03/16/2001, 06:33 PM
When you are on a trip and go diving, where do you keep all of your money when you are down under? It makes me a little nervous to leave it anywhere, any suggestions or thoughts?

Zmann
03/18/2001, 11:34 AM
I have 2 pelican dry boxes, 1 is the 1650 which is the luggage size one. I use this box for all valuables in the room, I padlock it then cable lock it to the plumbing in the bathroom. The other box is small and I use this one on the boat with just enough money in it for tips and padlock this one also. Alot of hotels have security safes that they are responsible for if you put money in them or other small valuable items. Hope this helps.

Happy diving,
Zmann

billsreef
03/19/2001, 09:49 PM
I'll usually use the in room safe for the money and my camera, if I'm not carrying them on me.

On the dive boat I only bring enough for the crews tip and simply leave it in a pocket of my gear bag. The other divers are too busy with thier dive gear or in the water with me to wory about, and if one of the crew steals it well it was thier tip any way and you can bet the rest of the crew will take care of the thief later after being skunked out of thier share of the tip.

grizz
03/20/2001, 01:25 AM
ok, that is great advise.. now that brings up another question.. what is a fair tip for a dive crew?

gregt
03/20/2001, 08:17 AM
After building a reef tank and paying for a dive trip, who has any money left to hide? :D

billsreef
03/20/2001, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by gregt
After building a reef tank and paying for a dive trip, who has any money left to hide? :D

LOL

Too true :D

Boatwizard
03/23/2001, 12:42 AM
Im an instructor and carry groups. I always get everyone to tip $5 a head for deck hands.
Its a good idea to get to the boat first before everyone else does, carry your gear to the dock beside the boat, and say "captain, permission to come aboard?" Its very good etiquette, and the captain will ALWAYS remember you! most people just start to load up without a word. Remember, on the water, thats his home. You wouldn't want anyone barging in your house without asking would you?