PDA

View Full Version : closed loop basics

tjhjunior
04/23/2003, 06:47 PM
how is a closed loop system plumbed? what are the individual components needed? is this system anaerobic? I have a 90g in wall with a 20g long refugium/sump behind the wall at the same vertical height with a homemade usiphon and a powerhead return. the flow is about 400gph. i am happy with the refugium but i am interested in the closed loop design to increase flow. i cannot drill my tempered display tank and i want to explore all options in lieu of a gravity fed below tank sump. currently, i also have a remora skimmer, fluval 404 canister running about 300gph, and two powerheads running at 400gph and 200 gph. any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

p.s. inhabitants- shrooms, xenia, polyps, coral elegans, snail, shrimp, hermits, royal gramma, 90 lbs live rock

jerseyreefer
04/23/2003, 09:36 PM
http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/tank/closedloop.html

I like this design. Thinking about building one myself.

tjhjunior
04/23/2003, 10:13 PM
that looks great. any possibilities for a filter like the lifeguard module or homemade for particulates on the return? or, would this pose nitrate problems?

conundrum
04/28/2003, 07:04 AM
the problem with a filter in the closed loop is the flow decreases as the filter loads up. I prefer only the pump on the loop, keep the filter in the sump. use threaded ends in the tank to aim the flow.

radar.john
05/26/2003, 07:09 AM
why would you want to filter the return from your refugium? wouldn't that defeat one of the wonderful things about having one? IE a great place to grow pods and other things that end up becoming food for the reef system?

tjhjunior
05/26/2003, 08:19 PM
i was thinking of a separate closed loop system which does not include anything but the intake, pump and output.