PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Lighting

DarrenCar
04/23/2003, 03:01 PM
I am in the process of setting up a 30 gallon marine setup. The only thing I have for lighting is a duel bulb 24" fixture. I have a 10,000 K coralife bulb and an atninic blue in there now. I want to have some corals in my tank but am worried this will not pruduce enough light. Would I be better of going with two 10 k bulbs and get rid of the actinic ? Or is there an inexpensive way to make my own light fixture that will give me the output I need to keep corals ? What specific kind of corals could I keep with this current light fixture and combination of bulbs.
Thanks for the help,
Darren

Dean812
04/23/2003, 03:05 PM
With that lighting set up you wouldnt be able to keep anything in the line of corals. You will need at least 3 watts a gallon for softies and up from there for others. I'd rec. at least 5 watts a gallon. Two normal output lights wont even keep macro algae alive in a salt reef. HelloLights.com has some good lights on the average $200.00 range.

DarrenCar
04/24/2003, 04:29 AM
Ak so Im going to get myself an early christmas present then. I went to my LFS where I trade in some of my african fry for credit and the guy hooked me up with 36" 2x96W Coralife Aqualight CF hood, 1x Actinic and 1x 10,000K, -Square Pin for 200.00.
Pretty good deal I thought.
So then my new question is, is this too much light ?

Dean812
04/24/2003, 09:48 AM
Very good. These fixtures are very well rated and recieved in this hobby. I have two over my 55 and one over my 29. They put out great light quality and quanity. I think youl really like the response from your corals. Both hard and soft. You can pretty much keep anything with these lights. Even a clam if you put it up high! Good luck! Heres were it gets really fun picking out coarls. (And EXPENSIVE!)

katchupoy
04/29/2003, 12:27 AM
please check the prices here...

http://www.foryourfish.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/FYF-L-CFH3.htm