PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer is a euro necassary??

androctonus
04/23/2003, 01:51 AM
ok i am setting up a 220 FOWLR with maybe just maybe sort corals in the future everyone it seems tells me get a euro yet i have yet to actually talk to someone that owns own......whats up with this do you have to get a $500 dollar skimmer to have a REEF or FOWLR tank from what i have scene you dont so y does everyone say get this when they dont even have one..
Please if anyone responds post tank size and what skimmer they use i know i am gonna have to spend alot to set up this tank but dang 500 for a darn skimmer.

Chin_monster
04/23/2003, 04:13 AM
Actually I'd spend alot more than $500 on a skimmer for a 200+ gallon tank regardless of whether it is FOWLR or full on reef. I use a $500 one on an 80 gallon tank and wouldn't mind having a bigger unit.

You could get by with a less costly unit, but mostly likely you'll end buying an "upgrade" unit down the road, which likely makes the skimmer that you should have bought up front nearly 2X the cost it would have been in the beginning.

And yes, I do own one (8-2).

gregt
04/23/2003, 06:41 AM
There are plenty of us that own euro's, you just aren't talking to the right people. ;)

Buying the biggest, badest skimmer you can afford will make your life easier and be cheaper in the long run, IMO. The more organics you get out of your water faster, the better.

moonpod
04/23/2003, 08:27 AM
Whether or not you get a ER, most of the quality units that'll handle a tank that big are gonna run you some $$$$. Now if you wanna go ecosystem and forgoe the skimmer.....there are some people doing that on fairly large systems, though I'm too used to having a skimmer to do it myself. Other companies that make nice large units: aerofoamer, aquaC, My Reef Creations, and RK2 makes some serious badboy skimmers.....

ranran
04/23/2003, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gregt
There are plenty of us that own euro's, you just aren't talking to the right people. ;)

Buying the biggest, badest skimmer you can afford will make your life easier and be cheaper in the long run, IMO. The more organics you get out of your water faster, the better. [/QUOT

Just curious what size euro you are runnuing on your 180 and have you had any needle problems? I have a 190 and thinking of getting the es8-3+ cut down to 27'' to fit under my stand. I thoudgt i would start with one pump running and adding the second as needed. Randy