PDA

View Full Version : wet/dry filters

Bigvfb12
04/22/2003, 10:11 PM
I am wanting to buy a wet/dry filter to replace the two power filters(emporer 280, millinium 2000). Just wanting to know some good ones and if at all possible inexpensive. Thanks alot guys

leo
04/22/2003, 10:43 PM
I found an old hang on the tank for $150 and that's fairly cheap. It's on my 58 which has about 80 lbs LR and DCCB (deep crushed coral bed). I had bio-balls in there for the past year and a half. The other day I measured for nitrates and they were off the scale, so, I decided I could do without the bio-balls. I simply stopped the siphon to the wet/dry and stopped the return pump. Within two days my fish were gasping. Ammonia, I thought. But no, it measured just fine (a HEAVY bio-load). I then restarted the pump and siphon, but removed the bio-balls. Fish needed more OXYGEN! This is a guess on my part, but feel it's correct. And my nitrates are dropping!!
Good luck with your choice, but I wouldn't use it except for adding more water volume, moving the water around, maybe some floss (change it OFTEN) to catch the big stuff. You can also put other stuff in there, if you have the room, like a skimmer, heater, carbon, etc.

arpanlib
04/23/2003, 02:26 PM
hi,

am new here and was also planning to uy a new EHEIN 2227 wet/dry filter.

reading this post i assume that my nitrates will shoot up by this type of filteration.

so should i go for this type of filter or not ?

thanx for the help.

arpanlib

Dean812
04/23/2003, 02:48 PM
Man! its so funny how this hobby changes over the years. Two years ago I would have rec. an wet/dry. Toady, I wouldnt suggest any wet/dry unit. They are just such nitrate factories! I would skip it and put the money into a skimmer ungrade.

Snailman
04/23/2003, 03:16 PM
arpanlib

Do lots of reading about this before you purchase anything. There are alot of pros and cons. Some people are true believers and some not. I personally am not. Just know what you are getting into and the problems that may arise. You can go many other ways and will still have problems.
Lots of research is the right answer :)

Snailman

[welcome]