PDA

View Full Version : Going from 6500K to 20,000K

TrevDog
04/22/2003, 05:21 PM
Hey folks,

I've been mulling over a lighting change for about a month. I currently run 2 x 400W Iwasakis on an MV ballast with 4 x 55 PC's (barely noticeable) and just can't convince myself that the tank doesn't look yellow. Tank is a 90 with a fair number of SPS, a few LPS and a couple Croceas. So I.....

...thought about adding a couple of VHOs - will I notice a difference and do I want to add more wattage to a relatively small tank....

....thought about dropping to 250s - means I need a new ballast and bulbs which end up costing as much as the 400s

.....thinking about the 400W Radium retro on sale at oceanencounter - price seems reasonable and I'm not concerned that the e-ballast might not power the bulb like a PFO HQI ballast. Or I could just buy an HQI ballast and Radiums as I already run PFO.

I guess what's holding me back is the effect this change may have on the inhabitants of my tank. Going from 6500K to 20000K is a big difference.

Should I stick with what I have or take the plunge? If I go to Radiums, any tips on acclimation?

Thanks!!

TrevDog

SeanT
04/22/2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by TrevDog

I guess what's holding me back is the effect this change may have on the inhabitants of my tank. Going from 6500K to 20000K is a big difference.

Should I stick with what I have or take the plunge? If I go to Radiums, any tips on acclimation?

Reduce your light cycle to a few hours each day.
Also you could buy some light diffusers (egg crate) and cut it to the size of your tank to soften the light during the new acclimation period.

JohnL
04/22/2003, 06:37 PM
I added a 400 watt radium between the sakis and I think it looks pretty good. http://reefcentral.com/members/johnl/mhcomp/

JohnL
04/22/2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by SeanT
Reduce your light cycle to a few hours each day.

Actually, in this case, since the sakis are much brighter, this would not be necessary or desirable.

TrevDog
04/22/2003, 06:41 PM
John -

Another 400 watter is crazy!!!!!:eek1: I had the same thought as you. I view the switch as going from more intense to less intense. But I've also heard of some sps bleaching under these lights.

TrevDog

geo
04/22/2003, 08:14 PM
I went from the 400 watt sakis to the 400 watt radiums with the HQI ballast on my 90 gallon. I didnt acclimate in any way, just made the switch. the corals all looked outstanding , going from the sakis to the radium. They all look great to this day IMO, but the super bright colors faded a bit once they got use to these bulbs. I believe the pigments being use to the light from the sakis made the colors really "pop" once I changed them over. The colors are all still great, dont get me wrong. I love the radiums, i like the color of the light produced and the color of the coral in the tank. Havent noticed "slow growth" like some state on the BB either...

TrevDog
04/22/2003, 08:40 PM
Thanks geo -

Glad to hear a positive experience. I'd bet your corals are just about as vibrant as when you first switched, but your eyes have grown accustomed to the tank and its inhabitants (kinda like when I stare at my tank for hours and it actually starts looking more white :D).

Out of curiosity, did you notice a slight decrease in heat?

TrevDog

geo
04/22/2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by TrevDog

Out of curiosity, did you notice a slight decrease in heat?

TrevDog

nope, not really. I was able to drop the four 110watt actinics though

3_high_low
04/22/2003, 08:53 PM
Trev,

Here's a good thread about photo-acclimation (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119061).

reefman33
04/22/2003, 10:51 PM
ive heard the radiums emit a blue light and actinics are still desirable with them as they emit a violet light and do a little extra for the corals. Has anyone else heard something liek this?

kentrob11
04/23/2003, 12:00 AM
I have a pair of 400watters on HQI over my 90 as well and I run one overdriven actinic T8 tube along with it. I found the coraline growth increased on the back glass after adding the actinic. Thats about it tho....Love the lights!