PDA

View Full Version : Zoo Help?

Fionna
04/22/2003, 03:34 PM
Hi... Been reading the forum for while, and I need a little help. I've got a 90g RR running an Ecosystem filter with 130W PC lights (50/50) and 80W NO (40W URI Actinic and 40W Regular bulb). We got ~90lbs of live rock for the tank and on that rock I found what I'm pretty sure are some fairly plain zoanthid polyps. I'd swear we started out with 4, but now there are 5. This tank has been set up and running since last summer some time.

Unfortunately, however, we have an infestation of flatworms. I'm going to start working on daily siphoning to try and get the vast majority of them. In my quest to rid the tank of flat worms, I've been keeping the water temperature in the 75-77 range (usually 75.8 to 77.2 is the actual range). However, it doesn't seem that my zoos are too happy, they aren't nearly as large as they had been... And I don't want to lose them. Is the lower temperature what's affecting them?

Thanks,
Katherine

PS-forgot to say that water tests last week were:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Low Range Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.2
Calcium: 375
Phosphate: <.2

Nagel
04/22/2003, 05:42 PM
Well, your parameters seem in line, and the lighting should be fine.

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and say yes, the temp is possibly affecting them. I keep my reefs at 80 pretty much constantly, and my zoos are always open. I have never dropped below 78 so I can't say how they would respond to temps like yours.

johnjr
04/22/2003, 07:04 PM
I think the temp is acceptable. When you are siphoning are you doing a water change as well. If so, this may be the problem.