PDA

View Full Version : Chattering Powerheads

qchorn
04/22/2003, 11:28 AM
Greetings All,

I have a 25 gallon CPR LT3 tank that I have modified to have 2 Rio 800 return pumps. Unfortunately, the overflow cannot handle the flow from both Rio's simultaneously. I have solved the problem by purchasing a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro wavemaker that alternates between the two Rio's. I'm getting great water circulation and everything is working wonderful, except that the darn Rio's chatter everytime they are switched on. Needless to say, this chattering is quite annoying.

Unfortunately, the Rio powerheads seem to be the only ones that will fit in the filter portion of the LT3. I have tried fitting a Maxi-Jet back there but it is just too wide.

Since I'm stuck with the Rio's, I'm wondering if there is any way to quiet them down and keep them from chattering everytime they are switched on by the wave-maker. Alternatively, is there another brand of wave-maker that has a "softer" startup that will not cause the Rio's to chatter? The Red Sea is advertised as having "soft start to protect pumps", but it sure does not seem to start very softly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kindest regards,
Quinn

moonpod
04/22/2003, 11:35 AM
Uh, no. One of the things rios are known for is rattling when being turned on and off like on a wavemaker, and the other is the occasional exploding powerhead.....

Rube
04/22/2003, 04:44 PM
Run a search for Rio's on the board. Never used one, but I read a lot about their problems.

I also have a Red Sea Wavemaster... beauty, eh? Had the same problem with powerheads chattering on start-up (they were Hagens). Was advised on this board to get Maxi-Jets, problem solved (silent start up).

*Edit* Should have read more carefully, I see Maxi's arent an option, too bad. From what I've read the whole concept of 'soft start' is bunk.

TrevDog
04/22/2003, 05:54 PM
Plus the Maxis eventually start chattering. But supergluing the magnet to the impeller works like a charm.

qchorn - the smaller Maxis won't fit?

TrevDog

qchorn
04/22/2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by TrevDog

qchorn - the smaller Maxis won't fit?

TrevDog

TrevDog- Actually, I just discovered the Mini-Jet powerheads about an hour ago. I think that these might work. I'm definitely going to give them a try.

Thanks,
Quinn

p5ykadelic
05/10/2003, 11:20 PM
hey guys,
i have a wavemaster pro also-hate the darn thing cuz it makes too much chatter everytime it turns on and off

does anybody know why sometimes when the maxi turns on via the wavemaster pro, bubbles comes out? the pump is underwater and i'm still trying to find out where the bubbles comes from.

help please!

kawasaki00
05/11/2003, 07:17 PM
I used to have the same problems with mine the wavemaker is soft start, but the powerhead also has a built in soft start, you will notice the impeller rotates on the magnet, do like trevdog advised, superglue the impeller onto the magnet and you will not have anymore problems. I was very frustrated with my wavemaker but after I did this to the powerheads, (chattering) was no more.:D

taku
05/15/2003, 01:52 PM
I have several maxijet 1200s and sometimes I'll get that chattering noise when the wave maker turns a powerhead on... but this is easily resolved by opening the powerhead up and cleaning it... in case of the rio, if you can clean it out.. I'd try that

also.. I'm going to try to glue the magnet etc after I setup my closed loop and don't heavily rely on the functionality of the powerheads ;)