PDA

View Full Version : 1000 watt picture comparison.

JPMagyar
04/22/2003, 09:55 AM
For those who were asking here are the 1000 watt bulb comparison pics::cool:

The camera settings and ambient lighting were the same in each pic.

Venture 6500K

http://members.aol.com/sunvox/Venture6500K.jpeg

Ushio 10000K

http://members.aol.com/sunvox/Ushio10000K.jpeg

Coralife 20000K

http://members.aol.com/sunvox/Coralife20000K.jpeg

Joe

PerryinCA
04/22/2003, 09:58 AM
swwwweeeeet. Envy.....sweet envy.

Which do you favor? Has that Ushio burned in nice for ya?

-Perry

JPMagyar
04/22/2003, 10:06 AM
And its all thanks to Sunlight Supply . . .

How's that for a shameless plug, heh Perry:)

Seriously though I am really happy. You would not believe the rapid purpling effect the 20000K bulb is having so far. I am taking pictures and will setup a timeline when it looks done, but I have a purple monti that is changing from brown to purple in 3 weeks time. Also the Favia has started encrusting like crazy. Can't tell if other factors are involved or not but I have to believe its the lights!

I still like the blue tint of the 20K, but I must admit the Ushio runs a very close 2nd place. I intend to keep the 10K 20K combo rather than the 65K 20K combo.

Expense be damned :rollface:

Joe

dgasmd
04/22/2003, 10:18 AM
How often do you change the coralife bulbs?

What is the recommended time for changing ushio bulbs?

It is one thing what manufacturers say and another what is actually observed. Radium makers say change it every year and they in reality don't last past 5 months, regardless of wattage or ballast.

Alberto

JPMagyar
04/22/2003, 11:51 AM
Hi Alberto!

I can't say yet how long the bulbs will last because I have not had them long enough. I have settled on an 8hr schedule per day per bulb and am hoping for 8 months of bulb life. I'll let you know in about 4 to 5 months if it is working out. :p

Joe

tubs
04/22/2003, 01:00 PM
JP,

Is that venture bulb the sunmaster bulb. Man it is really green ugly!

Thanks for posting cuz I really wanted to know what the sunmaster bulb looked like.

John

JPMagyar
04/22/2003, 01:41 PM
Yes the Venture bulb is the "Sunmaster" bulb. Its not quite as bad in real life as the picture makes it out to be but it definitely was not a color that I liked all by itself.

"green ugly" that's funny.:lol:

Joe

tubs
04/22/2003, 02:21 PM
Thanks JP,

For that green ugly color :p I think I'll stick with the sakis I have but I really like the rendition of the Ushio 10K in your pictures above.

Scuba_Dave
04/23/2003, 09:05 AM
a 65K bulb, WOW!! I've heard of 10k, 20 & 6.5k, but never a 65k bulb!!

:p

Scuba_Dave
04/23/2003, 09:56 AM
A couple of questions, how is your lighting setup, spaced? NUmber of bulbs etc. I like the 10k, but the 20k seems like it is really working.
Seems like you have (4) 250 watt lights?
Is each picture w/that type of bulb (not a mix?)
Are you now running with a mix?
Did you buy tank w/stand & canopy?
Thanks I'm trying to get a bigger setup, I'll have to show the wife yer tank!!

tubs
04/23/2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Scuba_Dave
a 65K bulb, WOW!! I've heard of 10k, 20 & 6.5k, but never a 65k bulb!!

:p

Scuba I'm sure JP meant 6.5K. Lots of folks refer to the saki as 65K FWIW.

John

JPMagyar
04/23/2003, 12:58 PM
Hey Scuba Dave-

Are you sure you don't work for the guys at Champion Lighting; they made the same joke when I said 65K on the phone. :rolleye1: :lol:

Anyways, I don't know if you figured this out after you posted, but the bulbs in question are 1000 watts each. I currently have 3 1000 watt bulbs over my tank, 6.5K, 10K, and 20K. I am still playing around with the photo period a little, but right now my corals get the full 3000 watts of light for 4 hours per day.

The bulbs are in a standard 60 inch PFO MH+VHO hood.

http://members.aol.com/sunvox/LightHood2.jpeg

The tank is from Tenecor and I designed the stand myself. Just tell your wife the hobby is growing and if you have a tank big enough to grow out colorful corals you could make millions. (Never mind the details, greed always wins out over common sense. :lol: ) Anyways, that worked for me. . .

HTH

Joe

tubs
04/23/2003, 01:06 PM
JP,

Looks like you're using a PFO hood for those 1K watters? Is that right. Just wondering if it can handle the heat produced.

Man you have lots of light in there :eek2: Dude update with pics when you can! Your lighting setup is smokin :smokin:

Scuba_Dave
04/23/2003, 01:08 PM
That is bright. Very nice Canopy & Stand, I kinda figured it was designed & not standard. Iam trying to sell the point of "making $$" LOL. She is a diver, so she wants a bigger tank (maybe a 100), I want a 180-300. Thanks :eek1:

JPMagyar
04/23/2003, 05:07 PM
Hey Tubs -

The PFO hood remains cool to the touch on its exterior. It is equipped with two 4 inch Ice Cap variable speed fans which do a fabulous job of keeping temps in the hood down. Actually, 1000 watt bulbs run at a surface temp of 430 degrees Celcius which is the same temperature as their 400 watt brethren. I was originally worried about the hood and water temp, neither of which turned out to be a problem. What is a very real problem is the bracing on my acrylic tank.

I have had to install two additional 4 inch fans to cool the two center braces. They now stay at a surface temp of about 120 degrees, but I am very concerned about the long term consequences of this heating and am already planning a switch to a Starphire glass tank sometime in the next year or two. I have a glass tank in the basement for my refugium and after using both acrylic and glass, I personally will use glass in the future for all my display tanks. I just can't stand the bracing on acrylic tanks and prefer the open surface area of glass tanks.

Like they say building it is half the fun, right?!:D

Joe:rolleyes:

tubs
04/23/2003, 05:21 PM
JP,

One more question. To power your European bulbs which I believe are 230Vs did you have a 230V line installed or did you use some sort of transformer? If you're using transformers do you have any info on these?

TIA,

John

JPMagyar
04/23/2003, 07:58 PM
John,

I purchased a "step up transformer".

Step Up Voltage Transformer (http://www.voltageconverters.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=VC2000)

but the whole process with 1000 watt bulbs has been and continues to be a pain in my butt. Here is a thread with more details of my problems:

Happy with Sunlight Supply on 1000 watts. (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173668)

In addition I have been waiting 4 weeks for a new Coralife 20000K bulb, but no one seems to have the new small version. The old bulb was football sized and the new bulb is less than half that size.

But, now that I got 'em I sure love 'em.

Joe:)

Justjoe
04/23/2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by tubs
JP,
Is that venture bulb the sunmaster bulb. Man it is really green ugly!
Thanks for posting cuz I really wanted to know what the sunmaster bulb looked like.
John

I use many of the Venture Sunmaster 1000w 6500K bulbs from Sunlight Supply and they are an excellent bulb. They are much more blue/white to the eye when side by side with the Iwasaki 6500K bulb. The picture of the Sunmaster bulb is very misleading, I'll try to get some photos of them in action at Atlantis. I don't think there is a CRI value on the Sunmaster bulbs though. The Sunmaster bulb also comes in a 400w 6500K and looks great, but has about half the PAR value of the Iwasaki.
Joe

tubs
04/24/2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Justjoe
I use many of the Venture Sunmaster 1000w 6500K bulbs from Sunlight Supply and they are an excellent bulb. They are much more blue/white to the eye when side by side with the Iwasaki 6500K bulb. The picture of the Sunmaster bulb is very misleading, I'll try to get some photos of them in action at Atlantis. I don't think there is a CRI value on the Sunmaster bulbs though. The Sunmaster bulb also comes in a 400w 6500K and looks great, but has about half the PAR value of the Iwasaki.
Joe

Joe,

If you can share the pics that would be nice ;) If you're using multiple bulbs of these things what kind of set up are you running? - Just curious as always with these setups as I'm seriously considering them.

John

Justjoe
04/24/2003, 06:32 AM
Joe,
If you can share the pics that would be nice ;) If you're using multiple bulbs of these things what kind of set up are you running? - Just curious as always with these setups as I'm seriously considering them.
John
John,
It's a public aquarium, the tank is 20,000 gallons that currently has about 20,000 watts of light. There are (12) 1000w6500, (4) 1000w Venture Blue Color Series bulbs and (7) 400w Iwasaki 6500K. The 1000w is the way to go on larger tanks, less fixtures, ballasts and fewer bulbs to replace each year.
Joe

JPMagyar
04/24/2003, 09:16 AM
Joe -

Where do you purchase the Venture Blue Color Series bulbs? How big are they relative to the 6500K bulbs and what type of ballast do they require?

Thanks!

Justjoe
04/24/2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by JPMagyar
Joe -
Where do you purchase the Venture Blue Color Series bulbs? How big are they relative to the 6500K bulbs and what type of ballast do they require?
Thanks!

Joe,
The Venture Blue are standard BT56 bulbs like the Sunmaster and run on a standard M47 ballast. Their spectrum is 462nm, I don't know how that translates into the kelvin rating on the other bulbs on the market.:(
Venture has a color series for architectural lighting, blue is just one of the colors offered. Any major electrical supply should be able to get them, they may also be available from suppliers on RC. I hope to get pictures tomorrow a.m.
The bulb is stamped: 1000w/U/BDX
They also have a 400w version that uses a standard M59 ballast.
Joe

Justjoe
04/25/2003, 11:38 PM
Joe,
John

Ok, I'm going to try and post some photos, patience please if they don't come out correctly...
This is the East side of the tank, only Venture Blues on...

tubs
04/25/2003, 11:50 PM
Ok, I'm going to try and post some photos, patience please if they don't come out correctly...
This is the East side of the tank, only Venture Blues on...

Joe - neat! Thanks and keep em' coming.

John

Justjoe
04/25/2003, 11:51 PM
Ok, here is the East side with only the 6500K Sunmaster 1000w...

Justjoe
04/25/2003, 11:53 PM
Hello,
Looking for info on getting better/hi rez shots to RC, it says I can only go 51200.
I have Photoshop to play with, but I loose too much quality to get the photo to fit for RC.
Joe

tubs
04/25/2003, 11:54 PM
Ok, here is the East side with only the 6500K Sunmaster 1000w...

Joe that's not a bad as JP's pic but the blue bulb in the background may be a bit decieving? Do you have a pic with only the Sunmasters.

tubs
04/25/2003, 11:58 PM
Joe that's not a bad as JP's pic but the blue bulb in the background may be a bit decieving? Do you have a pic with only the Sunmasters.

Joe you can send me the pics and I can upload them to a website in order to use the IMG tags. If you have a website you can host the pics to use the IMG tags yourself like this (take the extra pair of brackets out):

[]URL for your picture here[]

John

Justjoe
04/26/2003, 01:02 AM

That one is just the Sunmaster bulbs, with no blue bulbs on. Here is another one, of the West side of the display with only the Sunmasters on. The original photo of JP's is way off color or his bulbs are not burning properly.
Joe

Justjoe
04/26/2003, 01:09 AM
Ok, another with the Venture Blues on and also the Iwasaki 400's. The 400's are wall mounted at a 45 degree angle.
Joe

Justjoe
04/26/2003, 01:27 AM
East side again with the Iwasaki 400's and Sunmaster bulbs burnin', no blue bulbs burnin'
If I had to guess, I would say the Sunmaster bulbs are 8K:confused:

Justjoe
04/26/2003, 01:37 AM
The behind the scenes (BTS) view. The white fixtures are the blues, the silver cans are Sunmaster 6500K and the wall mounted fixtures (tough to see on the right side) are wall mounted Iwasaki 400's.
Joe

dgasmd
04/26/2003, 10:50 AM
I can't even possibly begin to think as to what and how much do you feed that tank. A couple of nori sheets per week?:lol: :lol: :lol:
My best guess is that you guys make your own frozen food of tons of stuff bought in a seafood place combined with some flake and pellet food + some form of live food. Coral food is another matter and subject altogether.

tubs
04/26/2003, 12:43 PM
Wow Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and posting them. Seems like I'm back on track in thinking about using the Sunmasters as they seem to be closer to 10K than sakis.

I wonder though about what you said about JP's bulb. It could be that he has a defective bulb.

If you don't mind me asking where were your industrial fixtures obtained from as I may be interested in getting exactly what you are using. Make and model would be nice. This fixtures would be OK in my garage for my new system.

Also do you think that the blue bulbs that you are using provide any photosythetic value to the corals or is it used simply to make a bluer rendition? I'd also like to use a blue bulb in combo with the sunmaster as in your aquarium and would like to make a choice between that and a 20K bulb.

TIA,

John

Justjoe
04/26/2003, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tubs
[B]Wow Joe
If you don't mind me asking where were your industrial fixtures obtained from as I may be interested in getting exactly what you are using. Make and model would be nice. This fixtures would be OK in my garage for my new system.]

You wouldn't need the silver cans, they have a focused beam used to penetrate the 6.5' of water and minimize spread of light so it doesn't hit the tank walls. They are Hubbel Sportsliter series fixtures, the ones that light football stadiums. :) The white fixtures would be fine for all regular use or where you want to spread the light more evenly. I use them on 5' and 6' diameter tubs for corals as well with great success. Those fixtures are from Sunlight Supply and are remote ballast types and can be purchased with built in timers. I'm home now so I don't have the exact specs but they have a specular reflector, glass shield and handle the 1000w full size BT56 bulbs. They can also be hooked up in series with air duct tubing (like on most clothes driers) so you can vent the hot air outside away from the tanks.

[Also do you think that the blue bulbs that you are using provide any photosythetic value to the corals or is it used simply to make a bluer rendition? I'd also like to use a blue bulb in combo with the sunmaster as in your aquarium and would like to make a choice between that and a 20K bulb.]

Both. It does make the tank look better, as the blue drops out of the Sunmasters over time as well. I have plenty of corals, all kinds, behind the scenes with tremendous color under just the Sunmaster bulbs so if you're looking to frag and grow some in the garage, the Sunmaster will give you all the color you need. I have some really hot pink seriatopora doing well, purple tip acros, etc. I would save the money if you're not worried about the absolute look of the garage tanks. However, I don't remember the paper I read but the zooxanthallae of most corals really thrive on the blue part of the spectrum but given the depths of our tanks, etc the Sunmaster provides enough. The blue bulbs cost almost the same as three Sunmasters, so that is something to consider.
Joe

JPMagyar
04/26/2003, 03:42 PM
Wow that is a magnificent captive reef!!!

I'm not familiar with "AMW". Do you have a website with more information. Is it open to the public? Do you know what the closest small municipal airport is to your aquarium?

Thanks.

Joe:D

P.S. Tubs - On the whole Sunmaster bulb issue, I have to say, do not let my pictures dissuade you from trying a Sunmaster bulb. First off my pictures are good in terms of relative colors but not so good in terms of showing "true" color as seen at home. Second, it is quite possible that the bulb I have is not the "Sunmaster 6.5K". The bulb is not labeled and the three vendors I spoke with could not be postive whether what they were selling was 5.5 or 6.5K so it is possible my bulb is not the whitest bulb Sunmaster offers.

HTH

tubs
04/26/2003, 04:00 PM
Joe,

Thanks again for the sh aring.

JP,

Thanks for the input with the bulb. Did you get your bulb from Ecorals as I know they sell it. It'll be good to know about this issue with no labels to verify the exact bulb model when purchasing it.

John

Justjoe
04/26/2003, 04:08 PM
I'm not familiar with "AMW". Do you have a website with more information. Is it open to the public? Do you know what the closest small municipal airport is to your aquarium?

Atlantis Marine World, public aquarium opened in June 2000. Gabreski Airport is nearby, I don't know about it being municipal or not. AMW is located in Riverhead, NY if that helps
The reef is 20,000 gallons and measures 30' x 14' x 6.5' deep.

[B]P.S. Tubs - On the whole Sunmaster bulb issue, I have to say, do not let my pictures dissuade you from trying a Sunmaster bulb. First off my pictures are good in terms of relative colors but not so good in terms of showing "true" color as seen at home. Second, it is quite possible that the bulb I have is not the "Sunmaster 6.5K". The bulb is not labeled and the three vendors I spoke with could not be postive whether what they were selling was 5.5 or 6.5K so it is possible my bulb is not the whitest bulb Sunmaster offers.
HTH

I have never seen a Sunmaster bulb look like that, and I go through a lot of them (we use them on other tanks including our 2200 gallon clownfish/anemone tank). I get them all from Sunlight Supply. If it were 5500K, it would be more yellow then green much like the standard Venture bulbs which are labeled 5500, even though they are actually much closer to 5000K. Even so, many moons ago that was all we had and they too grew corals well, as did the Sylvania 4600K bulbs...:)
Two more shots to follow, East Side and West Side shots.
Joe

Justjoe
04/26/2003, 04:11 PM
West Side shot, more lagoonal in some respects with LPS on the right side.
Joe

Justjoe
04/26/2003, 04:13 PM

I'm not familiar with "AMW". Do you have a website with more information. HTH

Sorry, forgot to post
www.atlantismarineworld.com

Justjoe
04/27/2003, 05:19 PM
Joe -
Thanks!

The Venture Blue Color Series bulbs would be a 20K bulb if I had to put a number to it...
Joe

JPMagyar
04/27/2003, 07:07 PM
Tubs -

I got my bulbs from Aquatic Technology, but I originally tried to buy from ecorals and, funny thing is, I just got a case of 4 dropped shipped to me from Sunlight Supply even though I canceled the order almost 2 months ago. I'll be sending the bulbs back on Monday so I know for sure Ecorals will have some.

Joe;)

seandanekind
05/05/2003, 12:24 AM
Hey Joe-

Have any pics and specs on your Lake Malawi Tank? We're hosting the ACA this year in Cincy.

I may take a field trip to see that reef and the Malawi tank!

-Sean

Malcolm_C
05/07/2003, 03:54 PM
where did you get your ballast? and how much?

JPMagyar
05/09/2003, 08:27 AM
Hey There Mr. Mad -

Here's the M47 ballast I am using - Hydroponics.net (http://www.hydroponics.net/_scripts/_lists/details.asp?i=380430)

I actually paid $129.

and here's the Euro ballast running the Ushio 10000K- Sunlight Supply (http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aquarium/products/ballasts.shtml#bw5)

I purchased the Euro spec from PalmettoReefs.com (http://www.PalmettoReefs.com) for $289, but I also had to buy a Voltage Converter (http://www.voltageconverters.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=VC2000)

HTH

Malcolm_C
05/09/2003, 08:32 AM
Joe, with the sunmaster bulb run on both ballast? I will probably go with the 240V

JPMagyar
05/09/2003, 12:55 PM
I do not know if the Sunmaster bulb can be run on a Euro spec ballast. Perry, on the Sunlight Supply forum would know the answer for sure.

My guess is, no, the Sunmaster bulb would not run properly, but that is only a guess.

Joe

Scuba_Dave
05/09/2003, 03:09 PM

am already planning a switch to a Starphire glass tank sometime in the next year or two. I have a glass tank in the basement for my refugium and after using both acrylic and glass, I personally will use glass in the future for all my display tanks. I just can't stand the bracing on acrylic tanks and prefer the open surface area of glass tanks.

Joe:rolleyes:

So, you let us know when yer gonna sell this tank off, right??

:dance:

JPMagyar
05/09/2003, 07:13 PM
You betcha!!

eddie
05/10/2003, 06:41 AM
I've used the 20k coralife for well over a year.

Time for a new bulb I guess.

I perfer its color over any of the rest

eddie
05/10/2003, 06:45 AM
what did you need a voltage converter for?

I have a Tridonic Osram HQI 1000 watter for a 20k Radium.I asume its the same thing thats in the sunlight ballast.

no converter needed for me.just a 240 volt outlet

FWIW the blue venture bulb & the Coralife are the same(I THINK)

I have both & sell the blue venture bulb.My web site is under constrution still though.

Malcolm_C
05/10/2003, 08:31 AM
eddie

How often do you replace your bulbs? isnt the radium lie a $200 bulb?

eddie
05/10/2003, 08:44 AM
not sure what you mean by Radium lie.

I wish it was a $200 bulb it almost costs that wholesale.

I sell them at www.southeasterncorals.com

Im still building my site though

I have one that I plan to put over my 180 gal that currently has a 1000watt 20k Coralife on a hydroponic light mover.The coralife bulb is over a year old

Malcolm_C
05/12/2003, 07:03 AM
sorry, what i was trying to say was "isnt the radium like a $200 bulb?" Eddie, thanks for the info and everyone else, maybe I'll try the hydroponics setup. $300 plus the relector is a good deal. If I don't like the color I could alway use it for frags over my rubbermaid. I just can't justify $200 plus dollars for a 1000w radium, to change it out in a years time.

eddie
05/12/2003, 05:31 PM
oh.. well If you have the money the Radium is nice & the bulb is way smaller.but the usa made blue is nice to me also.

I sell Radium 1000watt 20ks for $215

& USA 20k(blue)for $118.(on sale)

Malcolm_C
05/12/2003, 05:44 PM
I assume that the usa brand can be run on the hydronics ballast?>

Justjoe
05/12/2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by eddie
oh.. well If you have the money the Radium is nice & the bulb is way smaller.but the usa made blue is nice to me also.
I sell Radium 1000watt 20ks for $215
& USA 20k(blue)for $118.(on sale)

Eddie,
What is the brand name of the USA 20K 1000w bulb? Is it a BT56 bulb?
Thanks,
Joe

eddie
05/12/2003, 08:55 PM
yes its a bt-56 type the brand venture

the usa type runs on a m-47

JPMagyar
05/13/2003, 02:00 PM
Hey There Eddie -

I'm thinkin' there might be two different US made 20000K bulbs out there, and that we are not talking about the same thing.

The 1000 watt 20000K bulbs I am using are roughly 10.5 inches long and 4.5 inches in diameter, are made by "Global Lighting", sold by ESU (Energy Savers Unlimited), run on a M47 ballast, and cost $139 each.

Are these bulbs different from the ones that you are describing and selling or am I just confused?

Thanks!

Joe

eddie
05/13/2003, 05:08 PM
the bulb Im refering to is made by Venture

to my knowledge Venture makes some of Coralifes bulbs

dont qoute me but I belive you'd find that the blue venture & Coralife are the same

I have both

piercho
05/13/2003, 06:06 PM
I don't think that the Venture Designer Color blue bulbs (150W-1000W) and the Coralife 20K bulbs are the same. The reason I think that is because the Coralife 20K bulbs have less than 40% of their spectral output in blue. The Designer Color Blue bulbs have 70% of their output in blue.

A source for less-than-case quantities of Venture products is AHC Lighting. I recently made a purchase with AHC and was very satisfied with the service. AHC's retail website is not up yet (I think it is mostly a commercial company) but you can email with a request for products.

Venture (http://www.venturelighting.com/Lamps%20Frame%20Page.htm)
AHC Lighting (http://ahclighting.com/id320.htm)

eddie
05/13/2003, 06:53 PM
thats why I said dont qoute me :)

the bulbs say the same thing on them thats why I asumed they were the same

I actualy stumbled on them looking a bulb to supplement in a greenhouse

I knew that some of my older 55k bulbs by coralife were made by venture

markmcc
05/14/2003, 11:38 AM
JPMagyar,
I am in the process of setting up a 600 gallon sps tank or maybe even larger depending on how deep i go. I might go as deep as 40" with the length and width being 96" and 48" respectively. I already have two 400watt HQI Radiums and I would like to add a pair of 1000 watt 20000K bulbs. I am also supplimenting with about 600 watts of actinic. What I would really appreciate is a parts list of the required materials needed to set up the two 1000 watters along with the suppliers of the parts. I will be hanging the bulbs from the ceiling with cables.

Thanks for you help,
Mark

JPMagyar
05/14/2003, 01:02 PM
Hey There Mark -

The parts are:

1) Maximizer System 1000 (http://www.hydroponics.net/_scripts/_lists/details.asp?i=388525) $199.95

2) 1000 watt 20000k Coralife (http://www.championlighting.com/e/env/0001mtH7XcoYWnAkBo6d718/Products/Lighting/lighting.html?link=/Products/Lighting/mhbulbs.html) $139.99

be sure to ask for the "Small Envelope" 20000K Coralife bulb. It is only 10.5 inches long. The standard 20000K bulb is over 17 inches long and will not fit in the Maximizer reflector.

HTH

Joe

markmcc
05/14/2003, 02:19 PM
Thanks JP

Malcolm_C
05/15/2003, 07:11 AM
JP,

are you runing that Maximizer System 1000 as 240 or 120V. IF it ran 240v could it run a european bulb and a ameriacan bulb?

eddie
05/18/2003, 06:54 AM
not on a M-47 only american or bulbs made for a m-47 like the 20k Ushio 1000 watter

Malcolm_C
05/20/2003, 05:44 AM
JP

What is the Amp draw of your maimizer ballast?

JPMagyar
05/21/2003, 06:42 AM
The M47 ballasts are both drawing 9.3 to 9.6 amps with the 20000K bulbs.

HTH

Joe

Malcolm_C
05/21/2003, 06:49 AM
i assume that at 120V, by any chance do you know what the 240 draws?

Justjoe
05/21/2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Mad_drama
i assume that at 120V, by any chance do you know what the 240 draws?
If I remember correctly, it's basically 100 watts/amp at 120v and halve it for 240.
Joe

JPMagyar
05/22/2003, 10:45 AM
When measured prior to the voltage transformer the amperage draw for the Euro spec ballast is approximately the same as that for the M47 ballast, about 9.5 amps.

Joe

ReDsCaReX
05/22/2003, 04:29 PM
i would like too know how much $ a month the fish tank put on your electricity bill.

Ger
05/26/2003, 05:14 PM
Amp draw on 240 volts should be half of the amp draw on the 120V. That is if it is the same ballast, just tapped for the 240V.

Malcolm_C
05/30/2003, 12:10 PM
JPMagyar

I just tried to order the bulb from Champion, the never herd of the smaller bulb, who did you talk too?

Malcolm_C
06/09/2003, 06:20 AM
Ok, I added the 1000 what maximser system over the weekend. I purchased the smaller Corallife 20K bulb. finally I'm getting proper water penitration. What is funny compared to my 4 month old 400 W radiums, the radiums look yellow. and the Coralife is a crips white with a blue tint. Not as blue as a new radium running hqi but twice the intensity. I'll let it run for a couple weeks to a month. but I think I'll be upgradeing all my lights soon.

eddie
06/09/2003, 08:06 PM
welcome to the 1000 watter club.

Malcolm_C
06/09/2003, 09:41 PM
Thanks

:D

A Reef Scene
05/07/2004, 05:15 PM
Great info