PDA

View Full Version : Choosing an Anenome

orkspace
03/13/2001, 11:07 PM
Here's my setup:

29g glass aquarium
20lbs of LR
30ish lbs of sand (2/3 oolithic, very live)
CPR BakPak II (slightly improved with a Rio 800 and the surface skimmer attachment)
temp stays between 79.3 and 79.5 degrees
2 x 36w compact flourescent lighting (one 6500k, one actinic)

pH 8.3
Calcium 400ish
No Ammonia
No Nitrite
Low Nitrate
SG 1.022

Here's what I want:
An anemone that will thrive and, hopefully, host either percula, maroon, or tomato clowns. Ideally the anemone should stay put, but I'm very willing to move my corals (a big green open brain, lots of shrooms, lots of green star polyps) to another tank to keep them from getting stung by a wandering and/or hugely expanding anemone.

So, what species of anemone should I look for? I don't trust any of the local fish stores for something as sensitive as an anemone -- can anyone recommend a good online anemone retailer? Even better, does anyone have a young clone they're willing to sell/trade?

Thanks for reading!

Carlos
03/27/2001, 06:25 PM
Nice setup you have there.

I would recommend a Bubble tip anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor). They are very hardy and do not have the high lighting needs that other anemones have.

But, let me warn you that anemones are veyr delicate and will die very quickly in new tanks. Anemones, just like other delicate corals need a very mature and stable tank to "thrive." You can add an anemone to a new tank but its chances of survival are greately dimished.

If you can, find a substitute instead of an anemone. Some people are against having anemones in aquaria because the anemones are removed from the wild. When removing them from the wild, you are removing the home/protection of small fish. Also, in the wild, anemones can live for a long, long time while in aquaria, it is very hard to find an anemone that is more than 2 years old.

If you do decide to go with anemone, please do as much reading as possible so your chances of keeping it thriving are increased.

Keep on reefing!!!

Carlos