PDA

View Full Version : Hqi

Kc189
04/21/2003, 03:06 PM
I am looking to add a 2 Icecap 250MH ballasts with 10K HQI bulbs. I need some help with the setup though! I have a 60G 40x16x22, how far off the water do I need to put my lights? I have been told you must use a UV blocking glass is that something I need to ask for or is it just normal tempered glass? Any info you can give me would be great! One other I am going to be useing my VHOs with the MH where should I put them? Same height or lower.

Keith

Brad Gardner
04/21/2003, 03:17 PM
If you go with the mogul socket bulbs, you need NO UV sheild. If you go with the DE bulbs (double ended) you will need a sheild.

mschloss
04/21/2003, 07:17 PM
If you order a pendant with double-sided sockets, it will come with the required glass. I have two 250HQI reefoptix IIIp pendants (made by Sunlight Supply) with 10k Ushio double-sided bulbs. They are running nicely off the icecap 250HQI ballasts. They hang 8" from the water, and I have had no heat problems.

CRG
04/21/2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by mschloss
If you order a pendant with double-sided sockets, it will come with the required glass. I have two 250HQI reefoptix IIIp pendants (made by Sunlight Supply) with 10k Ushio double-sided bulbs. They are running nicely off the icecap 250HQI ballasts. They hang 8" from the water, and I have had no heat problems.

How do you like the looks of the Ushio bulbs? I'm considering purchasing the same setup, but was going to switch out the Ushio for an Aqualine to achieve a "bluer" look.

mschloss
04/21/2003, 07:54 PM
They are on the white side. Will be supplementing with 110W actinic VHO's. There are several threads on this, and I personally have not seen the AB's in person. Love my pendants though.