PDA

View Full Version : GOING TO AN 180/225 g TANK....SOME Q's

BLUESMAN
04/20/2003, 01:24 PM
I'm planning to upgrade to an larger tank.At the present I have an 80g front tank with 125# LR,6" DSB,skimmerless for a year and a half.Lighting is simple/cheap;3-LOA 65w PC's and 4-40w NO's.Rear tank connected/drained via bulkheads is an 55g tank with LR and 6" DSB.
I'm wanting an 180/225g tank(72"x24"x24/30" deep) and use the 55g tank as a bottom sump.Here's my Q's!!!
First off the lighting.....will 3-250w MH's be enough for hard/soft corals?Or should I plan to do 3-400 watters?I'd like to supplement with 4-40w "blue" NO's.
Drainage from the top tank to the sump.Can I use 2-1 1/2" bulkheads connected to 1 1/2" PVC pipes to the bottom tank?Will that give enough flow?
Return pump.....I was looking at the "ViaAqua" 4900 water pump(1321gph with a max head of 14').I'd like to add the new product SCWD device to it.Will I have a problem with using 3/4" lines.How much current should I plan for this tank?I can add a few RIO 2500 pumps(692gph each....please I've been using the Rio's for 3 years with no problems).How can I plan to hide as much plumbing/PVC pipe as possible?I was thinking of having the SCWD plumbed to the top of the tank and then plumbed below the water surface 8-12".I really hate to see all the pipe all over the tank.
I really would appreciate any and all input on this.I've just run out of room in my 80g and the wife gave the OK for a larger tank.I want to plan this as much as I am able.Thanks Blue!!

Rock Anemone
04/20/2003, 02:52 PM
Sounds like it's going to be an awsome set-up so far.

First off the lighting.....will 3-250w MH's be enough for hard/soft corals?Or should I plan to do 3-400 watters?I'd like to supplement with 4-40w "blue" NO's.
For the 24" deep tank you will be fine to keep softies, LPS and hard corals as well as clams. However, if you want more growth and/or are going with the 30" deep tank, go with the 40o's. Also, the NO bulbs may not be bright enough to go with the 400 watt MH's so I would suggest PC's or VHO's.

Drainage from the top tank to the sump.Can I use 2-1 1/2" bulkheads connected to 1 1/2" PVC pipes to the bottom tank?Will that give enough flow?
I would go with a Reef Ready tank, it's much easier and has the overflos built in.

Return pump.....I was looking at the "ViaAqua" 4900 water pump(1321gph with a max head of 14').I'd like to add the new product SCWD device to it.Will I have a problem with using 3/4" lines.How much current should I plan for this tank?I can add a few RIO 2500 pumps(692gph each....please I've been using the Rio's for 3 years with no problems).How can I plan to hide as much plumbing/PVC pipe as possible?I was thinking of having the SCWD plumbed to the top of the tank and then plumbed below the water surface 8-12".I really hate to see all the pipe all over the tank.
I'm not sure about the pump I would go with a slightly larger pump, I have 900 g.p.h. on my 75 gallon and the flow is pretty gentle.

For current, you want it to be strong for the SPS and a few of the other corals, so try and point the return lines in differen't areas.

You can go with the Rios but, I wouldn't, why risk it?

To hide the PVC and powerheads, you could thinking about getting a few more holes drilled in the tank and installing a closed loop system.

Best of luck!

Rock Anemone:D

BLUESMAN
04/20/2003, 03:13 PM
After searching some more,I'm leaning towards using two pumps;one for each SCWD for each corner.That would give me about 2000gph after head loss and such.The lights I'm still undecided,the tank will be either 24 or 30" deep but will have a 6" DSB.Thanks for the input,I'm still in the planning stages.Blue