PDA

View Full Version : Macro questions

BoomerD
04/20/2003, 11:00 AM
At yesterday's B.A.R.E. propagation meeting, I was able to pick up a few different types of macroalgae for my tank. 90 gallon FOWLR, 2-110w VHO bulbs. grape caulerpa, spaghetti algae, a medium green ruffled leaf type (unidentified maybe a green form of tang heaven? ), and a dark green brushy algae. (merman's brush?) What is the best ways to anchor these so they will grow? The caulerpa I have wedged into the rockwork, similar to the way I have done with the razor caulerpa, which is doing fairly well. Will any of it do better in the southdown sand bed, rather than inthe rock? Should I rubberband or crazy glue it to rock like a frag?
Thanks,

SeanT
04/20/2003, 02:15 PM
Are these to be in the main tank or a refugium?

BoomerD
04/20/2003, 08:54 PM
Sorry, main tank, No fuge. For looks as well as nutrient control.

BoomerD
04/21/2003, 10:06 PM
/\ Bump /\

SubmarinR
05/18/2003, 02:27 PM
Boomer

pardon my "ignorance" but what is a B.A.R.E meeting? and are they just a group propogating macro algae? :-)

Plantbrain
05/18/2003, 02:56 PM
If the shaving brush algae is Penicillus, it'll do well in deep sand(4"). It'll form runners. There's a couple of species from the Keys that are common(Where I get my macro algae-about 50 species or so). The Caulerpa's are easy but I fine they do better when attached in the substrate.
The large green flat sheet is Ulva.

I have not found that macro's or seagrasses to be that picky about the sand, aragonite base as long as it's mature and deep. You can add laterite and other enrichments for the substrate feeders. I add nutrients to the water column since I run out of nutrients fast and have few fish.

Regards,
Tom Barr