PDA

View Full Version : 150W bulb

LotToLearn
04/20/2003, 09:12 AM
If I get a 250W fixture (HQI) and realize it is too much light can I just change the bulb to 150W without replacing the ballast? Sorry for the dumb question!

rvitko
04/20/2003, 09:48 AM
No, the sockets are different for one, and the bulbs wattage is regulated by the ballast not the lamp. If your tank is less than 24" deep use 150w if it is more than 24" deep use 250w. If you are doing an extreme SPS tank between 20" and 24" deep it might also be reasonable to consider 250w. I really don't approve of the "light envy" race. Use what you need and enjoy the energy efficiency. Coloration is not 100% light dependent and their is such a thing as good enough.

Scleractinian
04/27/2003, 05:22 PM
With some pendants it'll be fairly easy to swap out lampholders, and the ballast itself (especially if it's electronic) can usually be swapped VERY easily. Used HQI ballasts also seem to sell well through RC and eBay.

That said, I'd agree with Rvitko's comments. I'm slowy changing all of my systems to 150w DE pendants. I have Giesmann Nova II and PFO Mini pendants, with magnetic and Fulham electronic ballasts. I run IceCap 10kKs, Giesmann 6500Ks (actually Sylvania, I think), and Sylvania AquaArcs, and like all of the combo's very much.

BTW... Roger, are you able to bring in SLI lamps? I'd really like to see someone import the 150w DE (I guess I could say HQI accurately, with the OSRAM/SLI relationship) AquaArcs, and several U.S. vendors are currently offering the 400w mogul version. The 150w AquaArcs tested VERY well in Sanjay's recent trials.

rvitko
04/27/2003, 06:30 PM
I will see what I can do, I will be in Germany on Tuesday to raise just such trouble. I will say that it is technically illegal to sell Osram lamps in the US under that brand as Osram USA is a completely different company and it is copyright infringement so the name will have to be removed or you people will have to keep quiet.

Scleractinian
04/27/2003, 07:17 PM
My lips are sealed... "I hear NUSSSSSSINK!"

Thanks!