PDA

View Full Version : fraggin Shrooms

KORE(67)
04/19/2003, 10:12 PM
Hey

Just wanted to know what is the best way to frag mushrooms. I have some orange shrooms. The big one is growin some babies but i wanted to split the others....i heard through the mouth is the best way...just send ur preferences....all help will be greatly appreciated:D

Rock Anemone
04/19/2003, 10:42 PM
Just cut the head of the mushroom off leaving the base attached to the rock. You can then place the head on a piece of rubble rock with a dot of glue or lighting place a net over the mushroom to keep it down on the rock untill it attaches.

You can also cut "pie shape" pieces from the mushroom and place them on other rocks etc.

I have heared of people cutting the head off, then cutting it like a pie into several pieces and attaching them to other rocks.

You can also get a small rubbermaid container, the ones people place sandwhiches in for lunches, and put rubble rock in the bottom or gravel, then place all the mushroom frags over the gravel/rubble and put a mesh net over the contain, to prevent inhabitants from bugging them.

Please the frags in a low current so they are able to attach.

Rock Anemone:D

DownUnder-Reefer
04/25/2003, 04:21 PM
Does this is also work for fluffy mushrooms, I have some that are 5" round and want to increase how many I have?

Rock Anemone
04/25/2003, 06:51 PM
Yep, it should work with them as well. They will be a bit slimier though, so be gentle.

slylie
04/25/2003, 09:22 PM
weird... how long does it take them to regenerate into a new mushroom?

Rock Anemone
04/25/2003, 09:24 PM
Generally about a weeks time will do it, maybe less...

str8kickn1
04/27/2003, 08:20 PM
sorry to but into your thread, but on one of my fuzzy mushrooms the mouth is ripped wide open...you can see the rock hes sitting on...is this normal or did someone help him with that...the only fish I have is a yellow tang, and a lawnmower blenny...please help

Rock Anemone
04/27/2003, 08:29 PM
Not sure what might have happened...

I had a Large Fuzzy Mushroom do this as well... It started looking really bad, and practicly melted. However, within a few days I looked at it and it had turned into 4 seperate mushrooms.

str8kickn1
04/27/2003, 08:32 PM
wow I hope that happens to mine...I noticed it friday, on the bottom of the mushroom when the sides are flipped up...it looks kinda yellowish..while the top stays greenish..and I thought the mouth was opened but its the rock their sitting on..like I said its only happening to one mushroom...

jshowe@liberty.edu
05/04/2003, 03:15 PM
I have had a mushroom do that as well and It eventually formed two seperate mushrooms.

I split my ricordia 2 months ago. It took like 3 weeks to regrow the cap but the smaller pie shaped cuts have nut latched onto any of the rubble in the bottom of the rubbermade container. I am going to attempt to glue one of the smaller ones onto a piece of rock and see how it does. I will report later! :)

TIGER SHARK
05/05/2003, 05:51 PM
I would not recommend using glue directly on the ricordia. I tried it a couple times but it seemed to irritate the tissue that was glued. You might have different results though. I like the gravel bowl method the best but if the frags are small it can take a while for them to attach to the rubble b/c they seem to fold up on itself. But eventually they will attach. The netting method works good too but just dont make it too tight to where you smash the polyp. I had some blue rics attach to a rock using the net method in 3 days. Just make sure it is secure and place them in an area with good flow to keep them from sliming up. I place the gravel bowl in good flow also for the same reason.

jshowe@liberty.edu
05/09/2003, 09:29 AM
Well -
I superglued 4 pie cut frags onto a piece of rock. It's been like over 2 months that the pieces have sat in a rubermaid container without attaching.

Three pieces came lose within the first day. I may not have given them enough time outside of the water to let the glue set or something.

As for the one piece that stayed attached - It looks like he is forming like normal within 4 days!

Next time I am going to try the wedding mesh approach!