PDA

View Full Version : marshall island rock

kwtowmaster
04/19/2003, 06:55 PM
Just received my shipment of MI LR I orderd 100# I got 320# paid for 290# of shipping @ .37 a lbs. paid for 100 # @ $2.00 a lbs.So $200 for rock $162 for s+h .that's $362 for 320#'s.My tank is 75-80 % full, way to much .no stink, a little color ,some life on it .Im happy:bounce2: :bounce1: :bounce3: :celeb2: :celeb3:

dburr
04/19/2003, 07:27 PM
:) :rollface: :D
Great.:bum:

minh_han
04/19/2003, 07:31 PM
Are you saying you got THREE times the amount of rock you ordered? If that's the case, then WOW! You basically got your rock for $1/lb shipped. That's fantastic! But, what in the world are you going to do with all that rock? You definitely can't keep all of it in your tank. Are you going to put it in your refugium/sump? Where did you order your rock from?

kwtowmaster
04/19/2003, 07:45 PM
Ya .about abuck a lbs.sorry I paid $140 for shipping not $160.So in a 150 gal. tank how much sould I keep?A friend wants $40 worth for a 35 gal.If rock is cured how long should I watch to see if it starts to cycle?Do I need a light on sump If I put LR in it?Didn't see ANY hitchhikers from rock.I orderd it from www.oceanlife-int.com the same place the boston group is getting theres from.Me and my friend whent to JP today he's the man real nice guy .& he has great stuff and how about that clam tub wow! I'll be back.:D

minh_han
04/19/2003, 09:30 PM
The rule of thumb is 1-2 lbs of rock for every gallon your tank can hold. Some of this rock can go in the sump though. If you just want to use the rock in the sump for biological filtration, then a light is not needed. But, if you want to use the sump to grow macroalgae for nutrient export and as a refugium, then yes, I would use a light. If you test your water and there is no ammonia, then you're good to go, cycling done. But, remember that every time you add something to the tank, there is in effect a minicycle as the bacteria in the rock and sand multiply in response to the extra ammonia until there is a steady state reached. So, basically, add critters slowly so that there isn't too much excess ammonia that the tank can't handle quickly.

What color is the rock? As for there not being any hitchikers, you might find some things that grow from the rock over time. Or, you got almost dead rock. Honestly though, even dead rock at $1/lb isn't all that bad. Hopefully, over time your rock will grow some more coralline algae, and you'll have a kick butt tank.

kwtowmaster
04/19/2003, 09:49 PM
So rule of thumb I should have about 300 lbs of LR.If I put some in sump for filtration should I put the LR on top of grate where bio balls were? or take the grate out and sit LR on bottom of sump?The rock has some color like purple ,red and green its not the most colorful I'v seen but I like it for the $$.There are also some some polups and plant or sponges not alot ,but some little red things growing off it.when I said no hitchhikers I ment like mantis shrimp or crabs or worms like that.I soaked the rock in a high salt level 1.035-1.040 for one min. that makes all (or most of)the bugs jump off the LR.I did it before w/ some uncured LR I got some worms and little bugs in the bottom of the bucket ,when you do that you can pick out the bad stuff and add the good back to tank.

ThingsReef
04/20/2003, 05:02 AM
Your rock will cycle. If it's pretty fresh it may be a mild cycle but if it was shipped it will definitely cycle. That's alota rock...you ended up on the good end of that deal. Good luck