PDA

View Full Version : Do pods need light?

Scott Eiswirth
05/03/2000, 12:05 PM
I have gutted the old wet/dry sump for my 75 and use it for top-off water addition and I have a BakPakII in it.
I had to put a coral munching crab in there so I was checking on him the other day and what to my wondering eyes should appear but lots and lots of pods.
These guys seem to be doing well on there own but I was curious if they are just getting down there from the overflow or if the are growing in the sump?

------------------
Thanks
Scott
www.angelfire.com/me3/fishtank

dragon0121
05/03/2000, 01:05 PM
Scott,
I just tore my BakPak down this weekend to put on a friends tank. The bottom of the skimmer had bristleworms living in it and the sides of the outlet side of the skimmer had calcerous tubeworms growing up about 3/4 of the way to the top. When you would look in from the side you could see approx. 30 feather dusters extended out in the current :D . I'd say it's about the same as a very small refugium :) . Grow baby grow!!

Roadrunner
05/03/2000, 01:59 PM
Don't believe pods needs light as my sump is full of them. I believe just a few got sucked down the standpipe from my overflow when cleaning the filter sponge on the standpipe. They have multiplied quickly. Actually think about adding some sand to the sump so they can thrive some more. Just haven't figured out how to get around the submersible pump sucking up all the sand....RR

Scott Eiswirth
05/03/2000, 02:20 PM
Roadrunner
Let me know how your hunt goes. I'm interested in doing the same thing.
Maybe some old bio balls or anti bubble stuff from a skimmer.

------------------
Thanks
Scott
www.angelfire.com/me3/fishtank

horge
05/03/2000, 11:26 PM
Hi Scott:

'Pods', as crustaceans, don't "need" light, at least not directly. Its periodicity can provide cues for any cyclic activity, and ultimately fuels the environment they live in/on.