PDA

View Full Version : Our New Club

Franks Reef
04/18/2003, 09:44 PM
This Club has been started by a few of us from the Hudson Valley area of NY, Anyone with the interest of learning, swapping and just the regular BS about this addictive and usually rewarding hobby of saltwater reef keeping in our area? Let us know.

www.franksreef.com

Tomzpc
04/18/2003, 09:58 PM
Woohoo! Our own forum. :beer: :bounce1: :dance: :bounce3:

Sparkysreef
04/18/2003, 11:12 PM
About time. The anticipation of this forum was killing me.

Now, when's the next meeting? I'd love to host one but I would like to have more than just water in my tank before it happens.

At the very least one of these :fish1:

seaham358
04/19/2003, 08:21 AM
I should be able to have a meeting at my house in May sometime. Probably towards the 2nd week. I'll let you know. Have to check with the Boss to confirm a date.

Tomzpc
04/19/2003, 02:00 PM
That would be great Bob. I'm going to be making the switch a week from Monday (55 to 90). That, and my wife being due in 6 weeks precludes me from offering to host right now.

Tom

foxstop
04/20/2003, 02:19 PM
Awesome! Having our own area that is.:)

Now that the war seems to be subsiding a bit I should have more time and hopefully I will be able to make the next meeting.

I can probably host sometime over the Summer (August looks best.)

Take care.

Brian

Tomzpc
04/20/2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by foxstop

I can probably host sometime over the Summer (August looks best.)

Take care.

Brian

We just have to be sure to save a summer month for Frank. Be a shame not to put that nice pool to use. ;)

foxstop
04/20/2003, 06:30 PM
Ahhh, a reef pool party!
Sounds cool ;)

Sparkysreef
04/20/2003, 07:01 PM
Can I make more friends if I mention that I have a pool too? :lol:
Maybe not as nice as Frank's but it's a pool none the less.

andro
04/21/2003, 03:19 PM
Awesome.

andro
04/21/2003, 03:20 PM
Awesome.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

foxstop
04/21/2003, 03:28 PM
I'll gladly reliquish the Summer to the 2 guys with the pools!
Rob (Sparkysreef): Did you get my message about being out of town? Just let me know a good time to call.

Brian

Tomzpc
04/21/2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Sparkysreef
Can I make more friends if I mention that I have a pool too? :lol:
Maybe not as nice as Frank's but it's a pool none the less.

Rob(Sparky), little plastic kiddy pools don't count.

Franks Reef
04/21/2003, 09:04 PM
Hey guys. I'm thinking of getting a truck load of Instant ocean and turning the pool into a 2700 gallon lagoon/reef. Bring your snorkles! LOL:lol:

moore
04/22/2003, 12:14 PM
well well well just when iam moveing back home someone finaly goes and starts a club. ;) somebody tell me more

thanks

jim

seaham358
04/22/2003, 03:27 PM
Not much to tell. We just started it up, there are 6 members so far and we have had 2 meeting at the homes of 2 of the members. We get together check out the tanks and talk reef. The club is still in its beginning stages and will be getting more organized as we go. We will be making member ID cards that will get you discount prices at some local fish stores. We have traded some corals already and I'm sure we will be doing more of that in the future. We plan to organize mail orders together to save on shipping costs and bulk buys to get a better price on items. If you want to be invited to a meeting just e-mail your name, address and phone number so you can be added to our list and we will contact you when we schedule a meeting. We are looking at some time in May for the next meeting. If you want to host a meeting at your home then let us know. What type of set up do you have? Bob

Tomzpc
04/22/2003, 08:36 PM
Hi Jim.....where from? So far only Dutchess and Rockland county are represented, I think.

Tom

foxstop
04/22/2003, 09:01 PM
Orange County too:)
3 of us from Orange I believe.

Tomzpc
04/22/2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by foxstop
Orange County too:)
3 of us from Orange I believe.

Oops.....I meant Orange, not Rockland. Nobody pays much attention to that side of the river anyway. ;)

foxstop
04/22/2003, 09:14 PM
You mean there's another side of the river?:beer:

moore
04/23/2003, 12:29 PM
I will be relocateing to clifton park in the middle of may, saratoga county, i have had a folr for about a year now (46 bow) did not get into corals because of money and time issues. I currently live in boston and i work to jobs one is in mutual funds the other is lfs i wont mention there name you guys probably wont let me join if you knew but i do manage the aquatic dept. I have been frequenting reef central and other boards learning and learning reding and reading. Planning my new tank now (iam moveing so this is the perfect opp) thinking iam going to get a 55 or 75 not sure yet (soft and lps).

Let me know when the next meeting is if iam home by then i would love to come.

the only lfs i know in that area is eddy's are there any others?

thanks guys

jim

seaham358
04/23/2003, 03:19 PM
Eddy's ? do U mean the fish barn? There is one in Wappingers on Rt. 9 Exotic fish/ tattooz. And 3 others in Orange county. Mahopac has 1 and Brewster also.
You worked at Petco..... I have several fish from them and they are all doing great...... Knock on wood.......

foxstop
04/23/2003, 03:22 PM
I think the Eddies that Jim is referring to is near Latham, NY. Not too far from Albany. Spent some time up there when my wife was doing her grad work at SUNY Albany.
Let me know if I'm way off here Jim.
A bit of a ride to our area, but you are certainly more than welcome:)

Brian

vmiller
04/23/2003, 06:59 PM
Jim,

I live in Clifton Park. There's also a new club starting up here. This is the forum: http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=209

The web site is http://capitalreefs.has.it

The first meeting is May 31

Seaham,

I am originally from Carmel. Where are these stores you are talking about in Mahopac and Brewster? Do you know Reef Splendor is in Hopewell Junction.

Tomzpc
04/23/2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by vmiller

I am originally from Carmel. Where are these stores you are talking about in Mahopac and Brewster? Do you know Reef Splendor is in Hopewell Junction.

Animal Kingdom is in Mahopac and Country Aquarium is in Brewster. Both are on Rte. 6. Neither is great IMO.

Tom

moore
04/25/2003, 01:27 PM
you got it latham ny is where it is,

how far do you think it is to get there if i rember correctly iam thinking around in hour drive depending on actual local.

jim

foxstop
04/25/2003, 02:01 PM
Hi Jim,

It depends whose house the meeting will be at that particular time.
I think you are looking at around 90min or so. I used to live in New Paltz and when I made the trek up to Albany to visit my bride-to-be it used to take me about an hour to get there.

Take care.

Brian

vmiller
04/25/2003, 02:06 PM
Clifton Park (15 min north of Albany) to Putnam County/Westchester would be about 2 hours. It takes me just under 2 hours to get from Clifton Park to Carmel.

greenman
09/17/2003, 06:28 PM
Hey im updating my web site and wanted to know if you have a site i can link to ?