PDA

View Full Version : Filtration supplement

Ryan
04/17/2003, 01:37 PM
Hi-
I am setting up a Fish only with live rock/sand tank. It's a 25 gallon eclipse, (it's all that my apartment can fit, I know bigger is better.) My question is this: I am currently cycling without fish, just with the live sand (25lbs). I am using the filtration included in the eclipse hood. I know this isn't adaquate for my tank, even with the 30 lbs of live rock I plan on buying.
I want to supplement my filtration, but due to space limitations I don't want to get a full sump, wet dry and skimmer if I can avoid it.
Could I get away with an Eheim Professional 2224 and the eclipse filter for this tank, as well as a powerhead for some water movement, or do I really need skimming and a wet dry for a fish only system? Thanks! :mixed:

Jeremy B.
04/17/2003, 01:58 PM
If I were you I would invest into a protein skimmer. Between a sand bed, 30lbs rock, and a good hang on skimmer.........that should be all the filtration you need combined with water changes and other means of just water movement in the tank. HTH

Typhon
04/17/2003, 02:04 PM
A skimmer would be good idea. That will allow more time between water changes. If you are willing to preform water changes more often, than you don't need a skimmer.