PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom melting or dis-integrate away

clownt
04/16/2003, 09:45 PM
Hi to all

I have posted this thread in the reef section, but was told that I would get more feedback if I postit here.

Recently my colony of mushroom is melting away. It will expel its internal organ through its mouth and then a day later, it will slowly melted away. This symptoms has spread to other mushroom in other rocks within the vicinity, this make me think that there is some disease of some sort. So far I have about 7 individual mushroom that fall into this episode. Did anyone out there experience such things before and what can be done to prevent it? I have 7 other Brain, 3 leather and 2 star polyps, all these are ok and not showing any sign of failing apart, just only the mushroom. Mushroom that are away from that location, seem ok...

Some feedback from the previous thread is that lighting maybe a issues, but all the mushroom has been in that state for a couple of months, nothing have change.

Here is my tank specs

4x2x2.5, should be about 150 gallons.
NH4 - 0
N02 - 0
N03 - 50ppm
PH4 - 0

have a skimmer, carbon, purigen and Rowaphos in place in the sump. Filtered system is by DSB and macroalgae.

I have attached a pictures on the expellsion of the organ. Please help, I don't want to loose my precious mushroom, thanks a million.

Just a update, another 2 mushroom has melted away, 17 April 2003.

Azurel
04/17/2003, 08:27 PM
Thats your nitrates thats 50ppm then i would have to say it is a water chem problem. They are hardy but still need proper environment to live. Most of the time mushrooms die off is caused by poor water quality. Remember when they open up in the morning they fill with water if the water is poor then they are filled with the poor water and high nitrates isn't good. I mean a few ppm is noting to worry about but getting up to high numbers can lead to problems. try a few small water changes over the next few days, and keep testing the water...good luck m8..