PDA

View Full Version : DIY skimmer 40$ with a 301 power head "air pump needed"

greenman
04/16/2003, 08:45 PM
So far i built 2 like this one both work fine with 301 or 201 power heads.... U can see more pics of them on the members page.....
One was put in a 30g that was up for about a year LR and fish only tank but its working great.....

http://reefls.dyndns.org/Capital%20Reefs/witowsks_files/DSC00967.JPG

PoggiPJ
04/16/2003, 09:04 PM
Hi Greenman,
I took a look - neat idea. I have a couple of questions - is this a hang on the back design? Also, how do you remove the skimmate? There were only 2 pictures on the site. Thanks.

greenman
04/16/2003, 10:21 PM
The one u see there still needs a hole drilled in the rubber 3" to 2" reducer u then put a plastic elbow in and hook up a hose to drain it to a bucket. And yes this is a hang on design.

The other pics are on the members pages under ripper1.....
That one has no cup "the home depot was out of the 2" to 3" rubber peaces. That one has a 2" rubber peace just to make it tall enough so the skimmate doesnt over flow... he takes some foam out in the moring and the night.... hes going to add the cup also when he gets the mon_ay "money"

I will take pics of them again when he adds the cup....

greenman
04/16/2003, 10:26 PM
The one put on the 30g is skimming like mad.... Will see how the newest one works on a new 55g tank with the LR just added the other day..... Both tanks have no sumps and only power heads.