PDA

View Full Version : Updates of my tank and Thank you.

kellypark
04/16/2003, 02:12 PM
Hello.
After posting my previous posting I got so many help from other CMAS member.
It was great experience, I got so much help. I even met couple of members, who gave me good advice on almost everything.
Before I found out about CMAS and Reef Central, I spend so much time finding about many things.
Thank you so much.

I have been researching about which light I was going to use and I found lots of interest in T-5 lighting system.
So many people talked about it and people who used loved it, so I tried to see how it would work on my tank.
I ordered retrofit kit from happyreefing.com. 1 daylight (6,500k) 24W T-5 light, 1 ATI¡¯s aquablue T-5 24W bulb and Workhose 5 ballast. The sales person (I forgot his name) was very helpful and delivered as promised. Bad thing about it they do not have actinic light for 24¡± yet.

My stuff came next day in good packaging, that night I wired all the light to my canopy and fired up.
These lights are very bright. Despite it is only 48W total (24W +24W). I also bought Triton aluminum mirror finish reflector from Drs. Foster & Smith. It was on sale for half off. It made light even brighter. Since these are my real first light, it is hard for me compare to other light system, especially MH.

My tank is fish only tank for now, so it is hard for me to do scientific compare with other lights. As soon as I get some corals (in future) I will see how it is working out for me.
I might add another T-5 or 50/50 compact fluorescent bulb to my canopy.

My plant is growing fast and live rock is starting to have some coralline on spots where it did not have.

Lately I have been thinking, in order to have coral I found my tank¡¯s calcium level need to be up to around 400 mg/L.
Since I am not using sump or refugium, I do not know how I can dose calcium in to my tank. I guess I can have drip tank above my main tank but I do not want to do that way.
Can I use some kind of dosing pump to slow feed calcium in to my main tank? Or is there any hang-on calcium reactor that I can use? Or is there any other way that I do not know about?

I would really appreciate if someone can give me answer.

Thank you all for great advice and help.

Kelly

kellypark
04/17/2003, 10:19 AM
Here is picture of my tank that I took last night.
http://www.nwsarchitects.com/kp/013.jpg
It looks lot brighter in real life.

I think my plant is growing too fast. I might have to trim later.
All other cleaning crews are too busy cleaning bottoms and glass wall.
My star fish is always hiding somewhere.

It's been about 3 weeks since I had my tank setup and running.
So far I did not have any problem with water, no ammonia, no nitrate.
I set my tank with plenum, deep sand bed, lots of live rocks, good skimmer (Remora series), w/d filter (eheim 2227) and now good lighting. And one more thing, because my rock and sand is from old tank (least 3 yrs - I bought used) it did not really need to be cycled.

Because of all that I think I am getting such good result.
Every night I am discovering new creature here and there.
It has been great experience and I am stilling learning a lot from fellow reefer and Reef Central.

mkirda
04/28/2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by kellypark
Lately I have been thinking, in order to have coral I found my tank's calcium level need to be up to around 400 mg/L.
Since I am not using sump or refugium, I do not know how I can dose calcium in to my tank. I guess I can have drip tank above my main tank but I do not want to do that way.
Can I use some kind of dosing pump to slow feed calcium in to my main tank? Or is there any hang-on calcium reactor that I can use? Or is there any other way that I do not know about?

I would really appreciate if someone can give me answer.

Thank you all for great advice and help.

Kelly

Kelly,

Probably the best way at the moment is using a 2-part product such as B-Ionic. If/when you start keeping hard corals that use a lot of calcium, you may want to get a calcium reactor, but at this point, I don't think it necessary.
You will probably find that water changes combined with B-Ionic will be suitable.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

kellypark
04/29/2003, 09:36 AM
Thanks Mike for your informaion.
Currently I am using Kent Marine's Tech CB part A and Part B everyday.
I am adding about 8 ml of each to my tank every morning.
I am also considering B-ionic for future.
So far everything looks really good.
Thanks.

nematode
05/09/2003, 01:46 PM
mkirda,
from posts long ago it was clear who who (corrected to you knew) jc of reeftec. Do you know what's happened to him and his product?

mkirda
05/09/2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by nematode
mkirda,
from posts long ago it was clear who who jc of reeftec. Do you know what's happened to him and his product?

I don't know, Nematode.

I have not talked to him about Reeftec in quite a while.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

kellypark
06/11/2003, 12:49 PM
I just checked reefgeek's web site.
I don't think it is actinic. they called it actinic blue but I think it is just blue.
Give them a call and make sure.