PDA

View Full Version : Best brand of PC lighting??????

coolcat310
04/16/2003, 01:09 PM
I would like to know what the best bang for your buck in PC lighting brands?

Thanks,

coolcat310

moonpod
04/16/2003, 01:20 PM
The kind where you sell your PC system and get something more effecient like a VHO...:D
Seriously try AH supply

sobe1
04/16/2003, 01:28 PM
There are many types to choose from. Myself I have a CSL 64watt and PLS 110watt. The CSL brand is little more expensive then the PLS brand. To me they seem to work the same its just one has more wattage. You can also try the Coralife aqualite. They're pretty affordable. If money isn't a problem, you can probably take your pick.

theitalianczech
04/16/2003, 01:54 PM
as far as bulbs go i have found that i like hello lights true actinic 03 better than the dark blue bulb i have had from ahsupply.....my ahsupply retro kit is great except for the fact that they didnt send it with waterproof endcaps........i have had a few sizzling moments but no fire............i put some silicone around them seems to work but i would definately recomend som waterproof sealed encaps........

coolcat310
04/16/2003, 04:17 PM
Moonpod,

I've only been researching PCs and don't know much about VHOs. I'm still undecided on the lighting. I always thought that PCs were the best choice for small tanks, but I might go VHOs. My tank is a 30 gallon tall 24"x12"x24". Do you have any suggestions as to the amount of watts I should have and the types of bulbs I should use in order to keep mushrooms, zoos, and low light requirement corals? I don't have a canopy, so I don't know about a retrofit. Could you help me? I really need some help.

Also, I thought that VHOs uses up more electricity. Is this true? How much more compared to PCs?

Thanks Moonpod and others for your advice...

Coolcat310

freakyreef
04/16/2003, 04:37 PM
I ordered from hamilton last time. Great prices, just make sure not to have them shipped fed ex. Takes forever UPS is much faster

theitalianczech
04/16/2003, 04:52 PM
as far as the 30 high tank i have the same thing for my seahorses and i just put on 2x 75 watt vho and i can fit another 2 if i wanted to, so with four bulbs you would have 300 watts which i think would be great for alot of corals.....as far as PC vs. VHO i like the look of my VHO better than the PC on my 30 reef....if i were to buy more lights i would go with vho...........

moonpod
04/16/2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by coolcat310
Moonpod,

I've only been researching PCs and don't know much about VHOs. I'm still undecided on the lighting. I always thought that PCs were the best choice for small tanks, but I might go VHOs. My tank is a 30 gallon tall 24"x12"x24". Do you have any suggestions as to the amount of watts I should have and the types of bulbs I should use in order to keep mushrooms, zoos, and low light requirement corals? I don't have a canopy, so I don't know about a retrofit. Could you help me? I really need some help.

Also, I thought that VHOs uses up more electricity. Is this true? How much more compared to PCs?

Thanks Moonpod and others for your advice...

Coolcat310

On a 30 gall, w/ low light requirement corals ie shrooms and zoos, it doesn't matter what you use. They're low light requirement, so get what's cheapest. ie like a 3 or 2x96w PC dealy or a 4x75w VHO deal. Whatever. Doesn't really matter. My personal experience is that PC bulbs are often of shoddy manufacture, short out easily, don't last long, and there are a lot of shaky manufacturers (JBJ, helios come to mind) that are CHEAP, but....and the fact is look at a PC bulb. How is all that light produced along the inside of the bend gonna get to the tank? It ain't...period--that's geometry and physics, not marketing. Electrical consumption is strictly related to the wattage you run. 3x96wPC=288w. 4x75wVHO=300w. There's your electrical consumption difference. Frankly, the VHO system will give you more light than just the 12w difference, BUT w/what you want to keep--it doesn't matter. a 2x96wPC, or 2 or 3x75w VHO would work as well. Shoot, a NO system might work....

barron_w
04/16/2003, 04:56 PM
Hi Coolcat310,

I would also suggest looking at AHsupply.com. They sell cheap canopies that are pretty decent looking, fit fine on common sized tanks and of course work with their light kits. I prefer them to any lighting system that just sits out in the open on top of the tank. If you get two 55 watt bulbs then I would consider your tank fine for everything except what is labeled as needing strong light (clams, sps, etc…), if you go with one 55 watt then you would have to be a little more careful and make sure what you add to the tank is okay with low light. Also if you go with two 55-watt bulbs I would pay a little more for separate ballasts so you can operate the bulbs separately.

I have their 2x55 pc kit on my fresh water planted tank and I use their 96watt combo bulbs on my reef tank. I am very happy with both. The end caps I received were waterproof. I live in Santa Clara; let me know if you want to check them out sometime. -Benjamin

moonpod
04/16/2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by barron_w
Hi Coolcat310,
I live in Santa Clara; let me know if you want to check them out sometime. -Benjamin

Coolcat are you southbay ie manhattan beach or are you southbay ie san jose? If you're socal, and you want to see a T5 system over a 55/60gall let me know. Otherwise, check out Ben's setup. Like I said, for shrooms and zoos et al, it hardly matters at all what you use.

Mikey Kliff
04/16/2003, 05:01 PM
If you dont mind building your own set up AHsupply........

otherwise I would go with the Coralife 4x65 watt for anything around 75-90 size....... i put that on my 90 and i love it, 4 seperate fans, seperate switches and plugs for timers
it comes with 2 atinic and 2 daylight, works very well....... i think petsolutions.com has them for around 250

i have a AGA 110 PC on my 55 with live plants, its pretty good for that, but not much more

I do not like JBJ at all....

Creade
04/16/2003, 07:48 PM
Pet supply liquidators comes in near the top for great pricing on PC setups imo. I would definately recommend going retro opposed to buying someones ABS hood pos deal.

Creade

katchupoy
04/17/2003, 11:55 PM
please check...

http://www.foryourfish.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/FYF-L-CFH3.htm

Mikey Kliff
04/18/2003, 09:52 AM
Holy crap! i got taken for a ride!

48"L Aqualight Fixture - 260 Watt (4-65 Watt lamps, Straight Pin Base)

List Price: $290.95, Sale Price: $209.95

i paid like 250 at work........ but that was 2 months ago, im sure there price keeps droping from the wholesalers cause they sell like mad

If your going to go with a pre made fixture, and a PC one, go with that

210$ for a 4x65 wat PC with 4 fans, you cant go wrong!

littleprince
04/18/2003, 11:08 AM
Since your tank is so tall, if you want clams and SPS later I would definately invest in MH now. I have a 250W ushio on my 20H, and I supplement with 2x13w actinic + 1 15W NO actinic. And no its not too bright.

Heat is less of an issue than it was when I had 110W PC over the top. Heat is pretty much a non factor now. In fact last week my fans didnt start up cause I unplugged them, and my temp didnt go up.

For VHO, 2x75 watt would be nice for a wide range of corals. You could probaly still have some sps up at the top.

For PC's, Minimium I suggest you would be satisfied with is 2x55W. The hellolights actinics are more true than the others I've seen.

My personal color preference is for the VHO URI comobos.

laxing22
04/18/2003, 11:24 AM
Personally I like the PC over VHO's (cooler and less energy to run) Cora Life makes the Aqua Light relativly cheep in compairisons to other PC's. There are a ton of threds on here disussing the Aqua Light. I have one myself and they are very nice.

Eric Boerner
04/18/2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Mikey Kliff
Holy crap! i got taken for a ride!

48"L Aqualight Fixture - 260 Watt (4-65 Watt lamps, Straight Pin Base)

List Price: $290.95, Sale Price: $209.95

i paid like 250 at work........ but that was 2 months ago, im sure there price keeps droping from the wholesalers cause they sell like mad

If your going to go with a pre made fixture, and a PC one, go with that

210$ for a 4x65 wat PC with 4 fans, you cant go wrong!

Wow... you can't even DIY a 4x65 PC set for less than that....

2 x workhorse 3s @ 18.99 each.
4 x waterproof endcaps @ 8.99 each.
8 x aluminum bulb clips @ .75 each.
2 x grounded 6' plug @ 2.99 each.
4 x 4" computer fans @ 8.99 each.
2 x 12 volt AC/DC transformer plugs @ 4.99 each.
Enough wood to build a nice box @ 12.00 total.

$143.86 Subtotal

Add $80 for PC lights and your total comes to $223.86

$209 for a complete ready to go PC hood WITH bulbs included is pretty awesome.

However..... You "could" DIY a much better VHO set up for less.

A complete 48" VHO retrofit kit with bulbs (440 watts) from Hellolights is only $241.00.... $30 more for a better lighting set with 180 more watts of light. If you piece meal DIY'd a VHO set together, you could do for substantially less cost.

laxing22
04/18/2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Eric Boerner
However..... You "could" DIY a much better VHO set up for less.

A complete 48" VHO retrofit kit with bulbs (440 watts) from Hellolights is only $241.00.... $30 more for a better lighting set with 180 more watts of light. If you piece meal DIY'd a VHO set together, you could do for substantially less cost.

I am not totaly sure, but I belive PC's provide more Lumes per watt then VHO.

moonpod
04/18/2003, 04:56 PM
you're right laxing except this: at least 1/3 of the "lumens" produced by a PC bulb never reach the tank--this is the light reflected onto itself in the bend predoinantly.

coolcat310
04/18/2003, 06:25 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm looking into PCs and recently, VHOs. Forget MH, too much electricty, plus you need to add actinics lighting--extra cost).

Well, I still like the PC just because there's a variety of complete hoods out there compared to VHOs. I am currently researching VHOs and starting to favor them. The only problem I have with them is that there's not that many complete hoods for them so that would mean I need to DIY a hood, which I'm not skilled at.

Any more suggestions would be great, thanks.

coolcat310

moonpod
04/18/2003, 07:13 PM
the pfo polyplight is available at various retailers in any bulb combo you want. Hamilton sells vho hoods. Sunlight supply might make hoods as well. Champion makes vho hoods. hmmm...need any more?

moonpod
04/18/2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by moonpod
the pfo polyplight is available at various retailers in any bulb combo you want. Hamilton sells vho hoods. Sunlight supply might make hoods as well. Champion makes vho hoods. hmmm...need any more?
oh yeah, most VHO retros use waterproof endcaps, so you probably could in fact just lay 'em down on top of the tank. Just doesn't look nice. To save money on VHO don't use IC ballasts. I like IC, they work great, but they are $$$$$$$$$

absolut
04/18/2003, 09:01 PM
IC=???

freakyreef
04/18/2003, 09:09 PM
Icecap

reefkeeper1976
04/18/2003, 09:39 PM
Not to bash hamilton tech but dont order their pc setup.That's what i have to supplementmy halides and inalittle over a year ia had to replace both pc ballasts. I've talked to other people as well and they said the same thing.SORT LIVED.

wingsfan
04/18/2003, 09:58 PM
jbj makes a unit that is 30 in long for a 20long do you think 130w pc's would be enough for any clams in a tank 12in deep?

Rook
04/19/2003, 03:54 PM
I have a 24" long jbj pc setup. I would not recommend it. Half of the time only one bulb will light up. The light is about two years old, but it should last longer than that. Do a search, I think others have had similar problems with JBJ.

Ron H
04/20/2003, 09:59 AM
Hey Coolcat you mentioned best bang for the buck. You might look into the Allglass PC fixtures. They are very straight forward and have an integrated ballest in the strip. They run pretty cool and I have used a 24" 55 watt. fixture to supplment my system. Just my two cents

Mikey Kliff
04/20/2003, 05:46 PM
bleh, the all glass fixtures are okay for planted tanks, there too bulky for my likes, and no fans....... not many options either

the damn 110 watt that i have is like 3-4 inch's tall!

laxing22
04/22/2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Mikey Kliff
bleh, the all glass fixtures are okay for planted tanks, there too bulky for my likes, and no fans....... not many options either

the damn 110 watt that i have is like 3-4 inch's tall!

I still recoment the Cora Life Aqua Light. It has four fans and an ultra low profile (about 3" high x 8" x 48")

Ron H
04/22/2003, 10:28 AM
I mentioned the Allglass fixture only for the sake of bang for the buck. If you really want to know what I think of as the "best" PC light fixture. It would have to be my Custom Sealife unit. My system is a 36' fixture with twin 96 watt PC, with a single fan. and protective lens. This unit has been running for almost five years with no toubles at all. All I do is change the bulbs every year and thats it. If I were to buy a unit today, I would research the guality of the present units