PDA

View Full Version : Helios PC Lights

vester_72
04/15/2003, 05:05 PM
Is anyone familiar with these lights? I bought a 4x55w PC set up on eBay - they look great, run very cool and seem very nice.

This morning, 2 of the bulbs would not turn on - it seems that part of my ballast "died"

My question is, are these lights junk, or is this just a "fluke"

thanks for the input,

Jason

SBGRAD24
04/15/2003, 05:08 PM
Their ballasts are prone to crapping out. I was going to buy one of their set-ups but heard from many others that they were problematic.

vester_72
04/15/2003, 05:11 PM
Nice - that figures.

The one thing I don't fully research. . .

Thanks for the input - I was hoping that I wouldn't hear that though :)

Jigabyte
04/15/2003, 05:43 PM
the Helios bulbs should be fine, I have a blue actinic 55w bulb. However I don't know about the ballast.

Jimbob
04/16/2003, 07:59 AM
I have been using one of the Helios 2x55W set-ups for the better part of six months and I have no issues. The only thing I will note is that after the lamps have been on for awhile they will not start immediately after turning them off. You may need to let them set for 15-20 minutes, but other than that, I love the color and my corals are growing great in a 20G tank.

Jimbob

Typhon
04/16/2003, 08:06 AM
I have had the 2 X 36w retrofit kit. They lighting system has know problems. Actually you can send the ballast back to the manufactors for a replacement. That is what I did. After my ballast stopped working with in the first month. You can e-mail them and request a RMA#. There website is:

http://www.commodityaxis.com/index2.htm

vester_72
04/16/2003, 09:28 AM
Thanks - I actually found out they have been having problems with the 4x55w ballast and are working on a fix in the design.

I will be getting a new ballast next month - but other than that, I do really like the lights.

thanks again for the input

Keith Sheridan
04/16/2003, 12:39 PM
I have the same problem with the ballast. 4x55 but one side of the ballast has blown. Do you guys know anywhere I can get a cheap replacement ballast? I have been getting the run around from the guy I bought it from, but I think it is because they are trying to fix the problem. He keeps saying he hasn't got any in, and I assume it is because the manufacturer is still toying with the defect. Anyway I'd like to pick up another ballast pretty soon so I can go back to full lighting.

Typhon
04/16/2003, 12:52 PM
I would recommend www.hellolights.com. I have purchase from them on many instants. They are great and they have great prices.