PDA

View Full Version : Chiller Plumbing?

Chin_monster
04/15/2003, 01:43 PM
Has anyone plumbed a chiller on a loop seperate from the main return pump? How did it work out? I'm considering do this with a 1/3 hp inline Aqualogic Delta Star unit rather than plumbing it into the main return.

The flow rates "required" by this unit are higher than I'd prefer going through the sump. I'm thinking this would allow me to utilize this unit appropiately. I don't think there would be a problem with freezing inside the heat exchanger with a small return with saltwater, but need to research first. Freshwate would be of far great concern I'd think.

Mako
04/15/2003, 02:05 PM
That is how I run my 1/2hp Aquanetics on my current setup now. Seperate chiller loop that pulls water from one end of the sump and and returns to the other. Tank temp is monitored via probe in one of the overflows. I use a AQII to control the pump and chiller and this arrangement has worked pretty well for me.

scubadude
04/15/2003, 02:12 PM
I do basically the same thing as chuck, but mine pulls from two intakes from the back panel of glass that I drilled both 1.5" intakes that go into my 1/2hp CSL chiller (which is plumbed outside) then back to 2 - 1" Seaswirls....Also I use 1.5" plumbing all the way until my input of my seaswirls. I use a Ranco controller but soon to be an AQII like chucks....wat can I say, Chuck has a sweet setup. Mine works great but I want to incorporate the controller for other reasons such as controlling the PH and such.

Gary Day
04/15/2003, 04:32 PM
Mako,
Do you only run the pump when the chiller is running?

Dag
06/11/2003, 11:19 PM
Can I put the chiller in between the sump and the return pump? In other words, can the return pump pull the water through the chiller as opposed to pushing it through the chiller? This would avoid head loss.

My sump is in the basement, a shelf above the chiller. so the water would flow down from the sump to a 1/2HP Delta Star and get sucked from the chiller by a Iwaki 100 RLT and pushed up to the main tank.