PDA

View Full Version : Solutions for small particles

216@aqua
04/15/2003, 01:08 AM
I have been increasingly becoming aware of small particles that have been pumped back into my tank. I have an overflow box which leads to a 29 gallon glass sump. The water flows through a micron bag, but I am still having small detrius particles gather on the bottom. This then gets pumped back into the sump. It is not a large amount, but enough to make me a little bothered. The only thing I can think of is that my sump is not partitioned. It is a regular 29 gal. aquarium that I bought. Can someone please help and offer some solutions.

Thank you

216@aqua
04/15/2003, 03:40 PM
anyone?

tatuvaaj
04/15/2003, 03:58 PM
216@aqua,

I wouldn't be too concerned about detritus in the water column. Actually, in a reef tank, it's something you would want to have since it's a natural source of nutrition for many invertebrates (including corals) in your tank.

You might even consider taking that micron bag out...

Avogadro
04/18/2003, 09:30 PM
You could go down to your local pool supply house and buy a mechanical filter like those used in spas and hot tubs. It sounds like all you would need is a 25 sq. ft. model and you plumb it inline after your main return pump. Pulls out all particulate matter larger than the micron rating on the filter cartridge that you use. I always buy an extra cartridge so I can clean one while using the other.