PDA

View Full Version : mushroom expelling long "threads" from its mouth

Ken2001
04/14/2003, 08:07 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for some information about what my mushroom is doing. Within minutes after I added a solution to raise the alkalinity of my tank, one of my mushrooms began to expel long white threadlike filiments from its mouth. The longest of these many threads are about 4 inches long. The mushroom is a large 6 to 7 inches across ricordia type shroom which I traded from another reefer several months ago. It's companion shroom, which is right next to it, appears normal. The mushroom has also raised up its edges, as though it where planning to eat (yes, I counted the fish, and they're all accounted for).

Does anyone have any idea what this mushroom is doing? Is it expelling its stomach? None of the other mushrooms or ricordia in the tank are looking different from usual, including the ones near it. The BTA looks normal, as do the SPS, LPS, and gorgonians (and fish too).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Konadog
04/14/2003, 08:43 PM
My green striped shrooms have done the same thing after a water change. I think that is just what it's doing! Looked at it after a few hrs and everything looked fine again. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Ken2001
04/15/2003, 07:13 AM
Konadog,

Thanks. You're right. About 15 minutes after I posted (less than half an hour after the mushroom started this), it had returned to normal. Weird. Guess it was less than thrilled with the additive.

Ken

tyler
04/15/2003, 04:15 PM
sometimes mine do that while i'm poking around in the tank. can't say i've seen any harm done by this activity though.

Newflee
04/15/2003, 04:28 PM
I suspect that you did not pay any attention to matching water perameters of new water to tank conditions. (ph, Temp., Specific gravity)
This is a sign of stress that does usually pass, but certainly is not desired. You should also be mixing your new water and salt mix for several days if posible.
The shrooms aren't eating, they are trying to puke and defend themselves from what the see as a hostile addition to their environment.

Ken2001
04/16/2003, 05:56 AM
Newflee,

Reread my first post.

"I added a solution to raise the alkalinity of my tank."

By definition, that would mean the water parameters between the tank and the solution are different. I didn't do a water change. You should probably read the first post more carefully before commenting -- but good comments if they'd actually been applicable to my original post.

Ken

Ken2001
04/16/2003, 09:02 AM
Neflee,

If you were posting in reply to Konadog, my apologies. Reading your post, I assumed you were replying to my question which began this thread.

Regards,

Ken

Bryan Thompson
04/16/2003, 09:29 AM
Ken,

The alkalinity solution is the cause. You may want to drip it slowly in the future. Your mushrooms will always be the first to tell you when you water parameters are swinging from the norm. The shrooms will be ok after the solution dilutes in your tank.

Lets try to keep this forum a little less harsh in the future. Thank you for adding your second post to newflee with the apology. It has been great to have a forum with no flames so far.

Bryan
BlowfishAquatics.com (http://www.blowfishaquatics.com)

Ken2001
04/16/2003, 01:00 PM
Bryan,

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that in the future.

Again, I apologize for my earlier post this AM. Probably not a good idea to read and reply before a first cup of coffee. If I'd read Newflee's first post more carefully, and in the broader context, I wouldn't have jumped to the wrong conclusion. My fault.

Regards,

Ken