PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing questions

Splendid Warrior
04/14/2003, 10:34 AM
I intend to have a 120 gallon (60L x 24H x 19D) reef tank set up soon but have a feel questions regarding plumbing and other stuffs before I can go ahead.

This tank will have 2 corner overflow boxes with 1 Durso standpipe mounted on each side. To maximize flow, I intend to copy the plumbing design of Nathan Paden's 415 gallon tank (www.padens.homestead.com/index.html) to give my tank maximum water circulation. (I have attached a picture from his website here for reference. I just hope he doesn't sue my *** :D.) You can see from attached pic that his return pipe are branch into 4 outlets with 2 coming out the side of the overflow box and 2 via Sea-Swirls (ignore the extra pipe in the middle). Now, I would very much like to have the same plumbing design but here are my concerns:

1. Will the 2 outlets at the bottom siphon out the tank water in the event of a power failure and how do I prevent it from flooding the sump?

2. I probably will use the 1 SCWD wavemaker instead of the 2 Sea-Swirls because of the price difference. Can I safely install the SCWD on my return line or will I be better off by using them with a closed system?

3. Will 3/4 inch pipes be enough for my tank size? I plan to have a 45 gallon sump with 2 return pumps for each return line.

4. What size pumps do I need for this setup? (I intend to use Eheim pumps because they are the only reliable ones available here) I'd also be running a Red Sea Berlin skimmer, a chiller, a Ca reactor and a UV sterilizer.

I'll be most grateful for any kind of help or suggestions. :p

Splendid Warrior
04/14/2003, 10:50 AM
The earlier pic size was too big and it didn't attach. Hopefully its ok now. :) If not, you can view the pic at: www.padens.homestead.com/files/new_tank/left_side_plumbing_-_top.jpg

wickerj
04/14/2003, 02:03 PM
What you're seeing in that picture is the closed loop plumbing.
If that was his return plumbing yes, it would drain the tank and flood the sump.

Jeff

Splendid Warrior
04/14/2003, 02:18 PM
Ya Jeff, I found out about it after a 2nd look. How silly :p But what about the pipe and pump size for my setup, what do you think?

wickerj
04/14/2003, 02:22 PM
I'd use 1" pipe for your drain and return lines. Set up a closed loop with an external pump like the Dolphin 2100, or the 3000 and put your sea swirl or SCWD on that.

Jeff

Splendid Warrior
04/14/2003, 03:19 PM
Can I step down the 1-inch pipe to 3/4 inch near the end of the return pipe? I intend to use the Loc-Line modular system to direct water flow to different areas of the tank.

wickerj
04/14/2003, 03:27 PM
Sure, just use a threaded adapter.