PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a better pump.

roadster3043
04/13/2003, 02:48 PM
Greetings.

I currently have in my 46gal. bow front a Lifegard Quiet One model R175254V. It is supposed to be rated at 1140 gph at full flow and yields 724 gph through a 1" line at 4 feet. The pump currently has a 3/4" line. I need to use two maxi-jets 1200 PH for more flow. I've been thinking of eliminating the PHs so the tank looks better.

I would like a pump that will give me enough GPH to have three spray bars, one to go the length of the tank, one to go the width of the tank and another that goes down to the bottom with water coming out at 90 degree angles.

I would like the pump to be as quiet as possible. I would like the first two spray bars to break the water surface and to have another row of holes at an angle of maybe minus 45 degrees.

What would be a good PVC I.D. for the recommended pump? I was thinking of using the widest allowable by the pump and then use reducers to perhaps half an inch for the spray bars.

What PVC I.D. would you recommend for the spray bars?

What size in diameter should the spray bar holes be? 3/16"? more? less?

How far apart should the holes be drilled from each other?

I was thinking of a closed loop on a timer for running just in the day time(if the pump is too noisy) and just leave the regular pump on all the time. I've read that some people who use closed loops use the Aqua Clear prefilters on the intake of the closed loop. Should they be used with or without the filter media(which would be cleaned weekly or bi-weekly).

I would like it to be the first option since I don't have much room under the tank.

Thank you. :)

Monchichi8
04/13/2003, 05:17 PM
look into the mag Drive pumps..Thats what I have on mine!!!..Super, super quiet!!!!!!!!! Great flow!....I mounted my externally...and put a small piece of rubber foam under it .No problems...Highly recomended..killer price too...I have gone the high dollar route on pumps..and am way more pleased with this one..spent 100 bucks on the 1800..hope this helps..Chris..check out my pics....

Monchichi8
04/13/2003, 05:21 PM
keep in mind this is when the tank was just started...Chris...I have dual return ports on that 1800 on my 55...killer water flow!!!

moonpod
04/13/2003, 08:20 PM
Uhm...well actually, compared to the quiet ones and the CSLs magdrives are rattly and make a distinct humming noise. The downside w/both the quiet ones and the CSLs is that they both heat up your system cause they're water (not air) cooled. The thing is if noise is a MAJOR concern, then you're gonna be kinda stuck. If you can take a bit of a hum, and maybe the whir of a fan, then there are LOTS of options. Stick to true externals, they'll last longer and you'll have fewer leak problems and the larger units anyways are relatively more energy effecient. Mags are great submersibles, but true external is a better investment.

wickerj
04/14/2003, 01:58 PM
With 3 different outputs from your closed loop you could look into a dolphin 2100. The GenX Mak IV is a pretty good pump if you can hide it in your stand to help cover the noise.

Jeff

moonpod
04/14/2003, 02:39 PM
I forgot, you could try the sequence seq10--about 2100 gph, very low energy consumption, very low noise, and not as notorious for leaks as the ampmaster series (dolphins). The down side--2"intake--so you might have to do something weird with your plumbing cause most people don't put 2" bulkheads into their sumps....