PDA

View Full Version : Phosban/RowaPhos updates?

Justjoe
04/12/2003, 09:39 PM
Hello all,
I have installed a new Phosban reverse flow reactor on the Atlantis reef (see hopefully attached photo)
Anyone care to decipher what the MOAP letters stand for on the reactor?::confused:
Currently there is about 9gpm going thru it which is enough to just lift the bed without swirling it around, the bed is lifted but static which I believe is the best way to use any of these GFO's.
I have also installed a smaller version on the effluent from my Ca reactors, this way you don't have to worry about which media to use in your reactors. The GFO should actually function better at the lower pH and the lower pH in theory keep it from clumping.
Joe

Evergreen
04/13/2003, 10:45 AM
Mob of Angry Peasants??
The only real things I could find on it were "Method of Analytical (Or "Approved") Procedures, or a kind of polymer called 1-(methoxy) allyl propionate. Also:"Matrials of Anthropogenoeus Origin" (fancy way to say "man-made)
Seems like the M should be "marine" and the P should be "phosphate" or something , right?

Justjoe
04/13/2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Evergreen
Mob of Angry Peasants??
The only real things I could find on it were "Method of Analytical (Or "Approved") Procedures, or a kind of polymer called 1-(methoxy) allyl propionate. Also:"Matrials of Anthropogenoeus Origin" (fancy way to say "man-made)
Seems like the M should be "marine" and the P should be "phosphate" or something , right?

Since it's 18" diameter and 5' tall and holds 44 pounds of media...
In keeping with a military theme M.O.A.P. stands for:

Mother Of All Phosphate reactors :)
Joe

Evergreen
04/13/2003, 11:22 AM
rofl!!
I didn't know it was a joke i am slow sometimes :lol: :o
Perfect name tho!

JB NY
04/13/2003, 02:54 PM
Joe, How much phosban do you have in that thing?

Hopefully that will solve the clumping, if so I'll have to make one.

Justjoe
04/13/2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by JB NY
Joe, How much phosban do you have in that thing?
Hopefully that will solve the clumping, if so I'll have to make one.

44 pounds right now, I'd like to get a bit more if I don't see the results I want. Right now I'm flowing about 9gpm and it is taking the tank water from 0.079ppm PO4 to 0.016ppm on one pass. I'll probably set up a smaller one in series after MOAP to take it down even more. I think the lifting of the bed but keeping it static will be the answer.
Joe

fishome25
04/13/2003, 06:40 PM
I'm just wondering where the phosphate comes from. the Ca reactors? i just bought a salifert tes kit and tested and mine is just about at zero, no nitrate either. so y won't my bryopsis go away? :rolleyes:

Justjoe
04/13/2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by fishome25
I'm just wondering where the phosphate comes from. the Ca reactors? i just bought a salifert tes kit and tested and mine is just about at zero, no nitrate either. so y won't my bryopsis go away? :rolleyes:

Phosphates come from the foods you feed, possibly your top off water (this can be a significant source) and yes all reactor media gives off phosphates, some more then others but they all do. Salifert and most PO4 test kit can be misleading, Hach makes a much better low range test kit and they are around $50. It might be worth getting one for the club and testing water at each meeting. I can also test using a Hach DR4000 Spectrophotometer at Atlantis, which is very accurate and would be willing to test water for frags.
Joe

JB NY
04/15/2003, 09:17 PM
Joe, keep us updated on how well the phosban works on the reactor effluent. Some of the "experts" in the chemistry forum are unsure whether it will work well.

I'm going to try an reverse flow for the phosban/rowaphos as well. My last rowaphos cemented up in about 26 days. I should have something set up in a week or two.

So 9GPM through the MOAP, that would mean you can turnover all the water in your 20,000 gal tank every 340.74 hours or every 14.20 days. :D hehe

Justjoe
04/15/2003, 09:49 PM
Joe, keep us updated on how well the phosban works on the reactor effluent. Some of the "experts" in the chemistry forum are unsure whether it will work well.
So 9GPM through the MOAP, that would mean you can turnover all the water in your 20,000 gal tank every 340.74 hours or every 14.20 days. :D hehe

Joe,
"Experts" are unsure of it working in what way? Whether it will stop the clumping or whether it will remove the phosphates?

Yup, at 20,000 gallons, sometimes the numbers are overwhelming... I just have to stay above the production rate once I get the numbers down which this should do, if not then another reactor will be needed. I'd swear the tank has been looking better day by day, and I even have some non animal care staff asking about how come the tank looks more vibrant, etc. So we just gotta keep it from clumping, even if that means cranking some water thru it to waste each week like a backwash. The reverse flow on the Ca reactor effluent is working great, and at the lower pH, it would probably still work in non reverse flow mode bu t I haven't tested that out yet and no need to. Either way, it should be installed on every Ca reactor effluent since all media to date tested releases some PO4 back into the tank.
What threads are talking about the chemistry end of things? Contact info?
Thanks,
Joe

JB NY
04/16/2003, 05:47 AM
I see you already found the link I was referring to.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171862

Justjoe
04/16/2003, 06:42 AM
I see you already found the link I was referring to.

Yup, I couldn't wait :)
I think it will be a good thread.
Thanks,
Joe

JB NY
05/04/2003, 07:16 PM
Joe, did you ever get the effluent from the phosban chamber hooked up the the Ca Reactor tested? If so, what were the results?

Jay4Robin
05/04/2003, 07:25 PM
Wow you guys need to speak english!

Now if I were to mix japanese koi with american koi would they understand eachother??

Evergreen
05/04/2003, 09:06 PM
How is this : "Phosphate and Silicate Magnet" by Marc Weiss? Is a brown mud you put into panty hose and stick in the fluval. Was told in lfs that is comparable to rowafos/phosban since it does not "leech back" when full. At $19 bucks a dose it should do something. anyone?

JB NY
05/05/2003, 05:06 AM
It looks like it's made out of the same material as rowaphos and phosban. I just haven't tried it.

Justjoe
05/05/2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Evergreen
How is this : "Phosphate and Silicate Magnet" by Marc Weiss? Is a brown mud you put into panty hose and stick in the fluval. Was told in lfs that is comparable to rowafos/phosban since it does not "leech back" when full. At $19 bucks a dose it should do something. anyone?

I would stay away from it, especially given its particle size.
Joe