PDA

View Full Version : euroreef cs12-1 skimmer

oceanrealm
04/12/2003, 09:18 PM
I havea 18o gal sps tank and I was thinking of purchasing this skimmer. I would appreciate hearing from current owners, how well do you like the skimmer, what did you have prior to. How much maintenance is required?How much heat was added to your system? thanks again

oceanrealm
04/13/2003, 08:48 AM
I cant believe no one has this skimmer

Lilgrasshopper
04/13/2003, 09:29 AM
I have a CS12-2. Just taller I think. No heat transfer whatsover. The sucker is only 45 watts per pump. I clean the cup every 4 days or so. It's hard to get it into the sink since it's bigger than the sink. Would buy it again if I had another tank that big.

oceanrealm
04/13/2003, 09:44 AM
What size tank do you have it on? Is there much maintenance required. what skimmer did you have prior. thanks

Riotfishdude
04/13/2003, 08:36 PM
do consider the Aerofoamer..www.reefconcepts.com
you wouldnt regret it....Riot...

JPMagyar
04/14/2003, 07:49 PM
I had (actually I still have but do not use) a CS12-2 and a CS8-4. EuroReef makes the easiest to use and easiest to maintain skimmer there is period. That's my opinion anyways. Unfortunately they are very expensive. I have a 550 gal system and am using an MTC HSA 1000 only because it is what my LFS sold me and I am holding back from buying a CS12-4 because I have heard that the 4 pump units do not live up to the efficiency of their smaller brethren. If I were starting over today I would purchase 2 CS12-2s without a doubt.

HTH:)

Joe

oceanrealm
04/14/2003, 08:30 PM
I have not heard fom anyone with the cs12-1 unfortunately the cs12-2 will not fit under my stand. I was thinkng of the external model. Im not sure how that works though do the pumps have to suck water from the main source or do you use a seperate pump. I wonder if euro reef would make a custom size. I have 27.5 inches in height under my stand . How much above the actual height of the skimmer is needed to remove the cup.

oceanrealm
04/14/2003, 10:43 PM
Does this skimmer ever need to be removed from the sump because it will be real difficult to remove other than removing the entire sump.

oceanrealm
04/17/2003, 08:21 AM
bump

moonpod
04/17/2003, 08:35 AM
Personally I'm an aquac fan, but if you're worried about in sump maintenance issues w/the ER, then get the external version, and there you go, it won't be in the sump and if you plumb in some unions and ball valves it'll be a snap to disconnect the entire thing. Most of the major manufacturers make good skimmers. There are nigglying plus/minus issues to each unit--but really, if you stick to the most popular units (aerofoamer, ER, AquaC, MyReefCreations etc...) you'll be happy. You just gotta figure out what your specific needs are. ie if you don't like noise or an extra big pump don't get a beckett unit (aerofoamer MRC). The beckett's hiss loudly IMO and require relatively large pumps. They also persist in putting the gatevalves for these units on the bottom of the skimmer which may make for adventursome plumbing as you may have to raise the skimmer up to avoid issues w/sump water levels and flooding the skimmer. The aquaC works well for me (EV240), uses a relatively small pump, and is quieter than a beckett though it does indeed make a small hissing noise. My previous EV180 was silent, the 240 has an ozone valve through which the hiss occurs. ER's, well, they're pricey and don't come w/little things like a way to connect the scum cup to a collection jar, and they're a little painful to deal w/in the event of needing to replace a needle wheel or something. But hey, like I said plusses and minuses are relatively minor for all of these units.

oceanrealm
04/17/2003, 11:26 AM
Thanks for info I will take it in to consideration prior to making the purchase.