PDA

View Full Version : calcuim reactors???

Bigvfb12
04/12/2003, 06:44 PM
I was just wondering if someone could explain to me what calcuim reactors are, and what they do. Thanks alot

johnrags1234
04/12/2003, 10:47 PM
Ill do my best:)

Calcium reactors maintain calcium and alkalinity levels in our reef tanks.

They are rather simple, but can be confusing when firt looked at.

Basically, a reactor has a chamber (or two) and this is filled with media like cc, or a manuffactured media like ARM. Now, the Co2 setup is injected into the reactor. The co2 has a low PH and diolves the media very slowly. The reactor is fed your tank water via a small pump, tee in return line etc.

There is a line on the reactor and this returns processed water to the tank. This solution is called effluent. The effluent has a Low PH. That is why often times peopl have a PH controller. When the tanks' ph is too low, it can cut off co2 to the reactor.

The co2 system consists of: Bottle, dual regulator, bubble counter, solenoid, needle valve.

Whe you are all said and done you are looking at $300 if you diy the reactor and buy the co2, and about 400-800 if you buy a reactor and Co2.

The co2 bottle can be filled at local industrial gas supply company. It costs me $11.

John

marineaquariums
04/13/2003, 10:14 AM
the best thing is it a natural process
what happens is when you mix the co2 and saltwater you lower the ph to 6.5, which then dissolves the calcium carbonate rock,
just like fresh water rivers flowing into the ocean over limestone rock.
low ph dissolves limestone

sterlruth
04/13/2003, 10:46 AM
:rollface:
With the calcium reactor how do you control the PH? I'm thinking about buying one because I'm adding Tropic Marine Calcium everyday and that is a chore.

DJ88©
04/13/2003, 12:07 PM
With the calcium reactor how do you control the PH?

The way that many of us do it is by using just a needle valve and a bubble counter and setting the flow at a rate that keeps the pH constant.

ddenham
04/14/2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by DJ88
The way that many of us do it is by using just a needle valve and a bubble counter and setting the flow at a rate that keeps the pH constant.

So what does the solenoid do? I thought it was to cut the co2 off or on controlled by the Ph controller. Can I use a calcium reactor w/out a ph controller? If I control manually with the bubble counter and the needle valve can I leave out the solenoid and watch the ph?

geo
04/14/2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by ddenham
So what does the solenoid do? I thought it was to cut the co2 off or on controlled by the Ph controller. Can I use a calcium reactor w/out a ph controller? If I control manually with the bubble counter and the needle valve can I leave out the solenoid and watch the ph?

the solenoid could be used with a controller or be used as a safety to shut off co2 when power goes out. You can use a regulator with out the solenoid, but most of any you purchase for aquarium use will have it on there

ddenham
04/14/2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by geo
the solenoid could be used with a controller or be used as a safety to shut off co2 when power goes out. You can use a regulator with out the solenoid, but most of any you purchase for aquarium use will have it on there

I actually already have a regulator we use on the jobsite for an argon purge when we TIG weld. It even has a little flow meter, a little tube w/a metal ball that floats higher with more flow. I know it'll knock the pressure down enough...I just needed to know if I needed to "find" a solenoid at work to go along w/it! ;)

geo
04/14/2003, 06:54 PM
you could do with out it, but it would be safer to have one.

ddenham
04/14/2003, 08:02 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the danger? If electricity cuts out, the minijet pump supplying the reactor ( and thereby the tank), and the main pump circulating the water (effulent?) around the reactor would also cut out, so what would happen then? I guess the CO2 would continue flowinf into the reactor, and would it slowly displace the water in the reactor, pushing it into the sump? Is that it, or am I missing something? I would think that the displacement would happen so slowly that its effects wouldn't be that bad, effulent flow would be actually less then while in full service

geo
04/14/2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by ddenham
I guess the CO2 would continue flowinf into the reactor, and would it slowly displace the water in the reactor, pushing it into the sump? Is that it, or am I missing something? I would think that the displacement would happen so slowly that its effects wouldn't be that bad, effulent flow would be actually less then while in full service

yeah, thats what happens.