PDA

View Full Version : kalk or calcium reactor ?

warren thomas
04/12/2003, 12:46 PM
i hope this is not a stupid question but ill ask it anyway ! does a calcium reactor or kalk addition replace the need for a 2 part buffer ,calcium . and if so does a calcium reactor run 24/7 or just when you need to top off water . i need an idiots guide to calcium reators book ! thanks

minh_han
04/12/2003, 01:05 PM
There are some great threads on calcium if you do a search. Basically, there are two types of calcium systems that can be used: a "calcium reactor" that uses calcium carbonate and carbon dioxide, and a nilsen reactor that uses kalkwasser (Calcium hydroxide, aka pickling lime). The calcium you add to your tank is usually through top off water. I for example drip kalk water through a feeding tube bag. I don't drip enough, so I also just add DI water when the water in the sump gets low

Bruce
04/12/2003, 04:54 PM
The reactor runs full time and is "dialed in" to match the calcium demand of the tank. Not supplements are needed with the calcium reactor. You can still drip kalk from time to time to percipitate phosphosates,if you want.

Dripping kalk is done all 24 / 7 or part of the day (usually at night to avoid raising the pH too high) dependending on the demand of the tank and the amount of evaporation. I have a huge calcium demand and I top-off with kalk ( 1/2 gallon a day on 20 gallons) and I dose a two parter everyday. My routine is now "dialed in" to the demand of the tank, but it took a while to figure it out. This summer when the evaporation rate increases I will make my kalk weaker because I will be adding more.
If you have any choice, get the best calcium reactor you can and avoid the headaches of daily dosing.

Bruce

jdmarano
04/15/2003, 12:13 PM
If you have any choice, get the best calcium reactor you can and avoid the headaches of daily dosing.

Bruce, do you have experiences with the different calcium reactors out there? Any insight before I start searching through the forums would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Jason

Bruce
04/15/2003, 01:33 PM
Can't say that I do. But with everything else in the hobby, you get what you pay for.

Bruce.