PDA

View Full Version : Coralife Aqualight

NTAnnin
04/11/2003, 08:54 PM
Hey I was wondering what everyone thought about the coralife aqualight series. How come other series such as JBJ lighting are so much more expensive for the same bulb wattage? Is a 65W 10,000K coralife compact bulb not as good as a 65W 10,000K JBJ bulb, and why?

I am currently looking into getting a 2*65W 24" Coralife Aqualight fixture. Are there better fixtures in the $150 Range?

Thanks for any help offered.

P.S. 29G Tank with fish, LR, and Mushroom Corals

rvitko
04/11/2003, 09:01 PM
I sell them at my shop and while generally don't like PC's, I can honestly say that of the nearly 50 we have sold since they were released not one has come back with the exception of one with a bad actinic lamp- just the lamp. They seem reasonably well built and compared to other PC fixtures I have sold very pleased- most brands seem to have a higher failure rate though I have never sold JBJ.

moonpod
04/11/2003, 09:28 PM
Uh...JBJ isn't considered the best quality, but yes, is fairly inexpensive. But in general I've gotta say PC=you won't be happy long term.....

Dean812
04/11/2003, 09:53 PM
I have the same exact set-up. A 29 gallon with the new 24" 2x65 watt. I love this set-up. Granted it is the only above NO lighting I have ever owned so I dont have anything to compare it to. But the light output is great. The cost, nominal. The heat that is generated is just above a normal output fixture. No noisy fans are needed. My softies are responding very well to the light too. I get great polyp extension on my flowerpot. Good uniform color and polyp extension on my colts. With calcium supplementation and the lights my coraline has taken off too. Purples, tans, and reds. So overall I say the lights are well-made and sturdy, an acrylic lens covers the bulbs area to sheild it from salt or moisture. The body of the fixture is that airplane like aluminum. The fans are quiet. I ordered mine off of Hellolights.com for 131.00 plus shipping. A pretty good deal. Heres the link.

http://hellolights.com/242xcoraqpch1.html

NTAnnin
04/13/2003, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the info Dean, that is exactly what i needed to hear. I will not be housing any difficult to keep corals either, just shrooms, so this light should be more than what i would essentially need. I just want a really bright tank and the ability to grow good coraline algae.

dattong
04/13/2003, 02:24 AM
go to ebay, there's a guy id as "Clepe" he'd sell $125 (2X65W) with shipping included if you're getting two

monstereef
04/13/2003, 02:55 AM
My LFS told me that the first generation JBJ fixtures had high ballast failures. The newer models ( they have 2 cords ) contain a UL listed electronic ballast. I guess when the redesigned the fixture they actually put in the better parts. He also told me that it costs more to produce a UL lighting fixture than a non UL product. I think this might be why the JBJ fixtures cost more the Coralife Aqua light.

I am not sure if the Coralife Aqua Light is UL listed.

Can anyone confirm if it is?

katchupoy
04/29/2003, 12:34 AM
how about these

http://www.foryourfish.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/FYF-L-CFH3.htm

NTAnnin
04/29/2003, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the link, those are great prices. Is that a reputable dealer? I might think about getting the lights from them.

katchupoy
04/29/2003, 01:03 AM
from what Ive heard they are good... make a search here also... and you will found out...

Proxymoron
04/29/2003, 12:21 PM
I bought 2 24" coralife fixtures from www.foryourfish.com. They were great and shipped out very fast. They also sometimes sell on ebay, but the shipping is more so it about evens out in price.

I haven't been able to pull up their site since yesterday morning though.

Dixie

jerryb
04/29/2003, 12:32 PM
I have the 4 x 65 fixture myself on my 55 gal. Love it. It is a small profile (no big hood) and looks modern. The fans are quiet and do the job.

Be sure to get the optional legs that mount to the housing. It raises the light enough to minimize the heat factor.

Mine put out enough light that my soft corals are growing like crazy.

NTAnnin
04/29/2003, 03:02 PM
Thanks Jerry, I will deffinately be purchasing the 4*65W for my 75G tank when i get it. I will add more lights later if needed. Thanks everyone for the help in my decision

Optyma
04/30/2003, 12:23 AM
I have one on my ten gallon nano and it is a really nice light, i would definetely reccomend it. looks nice too if you dont have a canopy.

NTAnnin
04/30/2003, 01:37 AM
I think my biggest concern was that the fans would be loud but everyone ive talked to or heard from says they are nice and quite and very efficient so that cemented in my purchase. Seems like they have better prices than most of the other lighting fixtures in their wattage range as well, and I do like the stylish look to them since i will not have a canopy. I'll also get the mounting legs i guess, but i'm not quite sure i understand what their purpose is. Is it simply to get the heat away from the tank or do they make the lights cover a greater percentage of the tank better?

jerryb
04/30/2003, 10:17 AM
By using the legs, you raise the fixture approx 2 inches. One end of the fixture gets fairly hot and the extra height means the top of the tank doesn't get as warm.

If the fixture you get is not as wide as your tank, then raising it slightly will spread the light out more.

The legs make it possible for me to feed without having to take the fixture off.

katchupoy
04/30/2003, 12:17 PM
By using the legs, it will give you MORE ROOM to work on the tank without actually removing it...