PDA

View Full Version : Tunze streams

zimreef
04/11/2003, 05:09 PM
I've just bought a Tunze Stream 6000 and 7091 controller, but the pump itself is noisy - you can hear it clearly from 6 feet away from the tank. The noise is definitely coming from the pump itself and is not due to any contact between it and the tank glass as holding the pmp in my hand in the middle of the tank does not result in any less noise.

I've cleaned it (although it's a new pump) & checked all parts are present & correct - but that's made no difference at all.

Anyone else had a similar problem - any suggested solutions - is it back to the shop for a replacement?

Thanks

John

Mako
04/11/2003, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I would post over in the Tunze forum about it for sure. Roger will probably wanna see that one. My 6100's are not like that at all with regards to noise.

fwiw

rvitko
04/11/2003, 05:16 PM
Where are you located? Have you made sure the top bushing- black ring that is pressed into the pump is level. Also check that the red oring at the bottom is in place and correct- this is a vibration dampner. The pump should be absolutely silent- noise indicates some misalignment of the drive unit and should be easy to remedy- also check that the brakes shoes are not fouled with a piece of packing material. I would also ask what flow speeds you have set on the 7091.

zimreef
04/11/2003, 05:43 PM
Thanks for your very swift replies and advice.

Roger, I have done all the things you have suggested and all the parts appears to be correctly seated. This has made no improvement in noise levels at all. The brake shoes operate correctly and are not jammed in any way. I have tried varying the flow speeds - the current setting from lowest 30% to around 60% switching every 5 or 6 seconds. This is not because it sounds any better or worse at this setting but because that's the last setting I tried :) .

Now that I know that they should be silent, I have a good case when I return it to the shop :mad: !

Thanks for your help!

John

PS: Location is Devon, United Kingdom.

rvitko
04/11/2003, 05:50 PM
I would make sure the pump is at a normal operating temperature- cold can cause this and is mentioned in the manual. If this is not the case the problem is simply some minor flaw in the molding of some of the parts of drive unit 6080.60. The shop can replace this drive unit for you. This is very unusual as all pumps are pretested but humidity, cold, shipping and storage conditions can all affect the plastic components to cause a problem like this. I don't know how far you are from Paraquatics but Gary is one of the best with Tunze in UK.

mracroman
04/11/2003, 06:17 PM
Roger,

I posted the other day on the 6110 and being suprised at the amount of components. I just wanted to let you know that the Turbelle is better than I had hoped and your customer service on this board is second to none. Many people have to me that the cost of the unit is high, but in my opinion Tunze is offering what every aquarist has been sceaming for, revolutionary products with excellent quality and terrific customer service. I hope more members take notice of the energy that you put into your product.

I will continue to buy Tunze even if they are brown.

PS. now can I get a discount:D

moonpod
04/11/2003, 06:20 PM
Well, they certainly could've gotten a racier color like blue or something, but seriously, the 6100 kicks booty and what I wanna know is why'd they get 'em (6000) sooner in the UK than us, huh? Hey the UK was part of the coalition as well, so the Germans shouldn't treat them any better than us!:D

mracroman
04/11/2003, 06:21 PM
Damn Moonpod,

I did not think of that, if I remembered that I may have held off.

rvitko
04/11/2003, 07:06 PM
Actually Mr Tunze is a supporter of the coalition so we don't need to get into that here- as he said when a friend is in need you do as they ask and save your opinions for later. Schroeder was barely elected and he won by appealing to college students and East German voters- nuff said. The 6000 is available but it uses the same motor block as the 6100, only the transformer is different. The US has an extreme surge in demand relative to most countries (US sales of Tunze up 100% worldwide up 30%) and we are behind on 6100. We decided that until we got a little more caught up on 6100 orders we should put all resources toward these pumps and wait on the 6000. It is coming very soon though. I hope in the next couple weeks to begin shipping these pumps. The 6060 arrived yesterday and was shipped out. Thank you very much for your compliments. I work for Tunze because I believe in the company and because Axel Tunze is a good friend and someone I really admire. I am a hobbyist who owns a LFS and that is my main job and what started this whole thing.

moonpod
04/11/2003, 07:45 PM
Oh you know I was just kidding. It's just pent up frustration from waiting for these things! It's like you know, the day before Xmas only it never seems to get to Xmas.....

rvitko
04/11/2003, 08:00 PM
I am doing everything I can. I will be going to the factory at the end of the month to try to help in any way to better coordinate production and help with new product design. As mracroman noted their are a lot of parts- and thats just the ones you can see, it is very difficult to coordinate the stock of all these parts and then it becomes even more complicated when you have different voltages and plugs for different countries.

moonpod
04/11/2003, 08:02 PM
daddy are we there yet

no

daddy are we there yet

no

etc....

Didn't expect that these things would be so darn popular did ya! Seriously, it's a great product and we all respect the work you and the rest of Tunze put into getting it together.

zimreef
04/12/2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by rvitko
Schroeder was barely elected and he won by appealing to college students and East German voters- nuff said.

:rollface: Almost - as an interested observer from the other side of the Atlantic, Bush's win didn't look too convincing either!!;) ;) ;) (Nuff said now!) :rollface:

Roger,

I note your comments re temperature - the only reference that I found is a reference to if it's delivered in the cold season it needs to be acclimatised to room temperaure for an hour before operation.

However, it is running in a room which probably varies between 10-15C running in an (unpopulated) unheated tank so this may affect it I guess. The manual also says initial running noises will beome distinctly softer after a running-in period of operation of one week. It's been running around 3+ days now with no improvement that I can tell.

However, I'll bring the tank temperature up to 25C and leave it running for a few more days before deciding what needs to be done.

Thanks for your help once again.

Regards

John

rvitko
04/12/2003, 09:50 AM
John,

I believe we found the problem- let me know how it runs at say 25C.

RARZILLO
04/14/2003, 11:55 PM
i thinking about getting one of these turbelles or streams.
everywhere its saying the pressure is not too high.....but how can it not be....?....worried about soft corals bending one way indefinitely maybe a photo of the exiting nozzle would help....

zimreef
05/12/2003, 02:42 AM
Just a footnote here - the "noisy" Tunze pump is now bedded in and running a lot more quietly - almost silently which is more than bearable. Great pump with LOTS of turnover!

Thanks for your help - particularly Roger!

John

rvitko
05/12/2003, 08:48 AM
Good to know! Thanks.