PDA

View Full Version : The "Lone Polyp".

johnjr
04/11/2003, 12:14 PM
There he sits, alone. A last of a strain decimated by an unknown elelemet. I can only wonder if he will survive long enough to bud off a few more polyps so that my money will not be wasted. While my other zoanthid strains flourish, he struggles: his tenticles pulled in close to his central disk, like a wilted flower. I can only look up to the sky and ask why... WHY... WHHHHYYY!
I find myself staring for hours at the base of this small animal, looking for the telltale sign of a budding polyp.
I worry while lying in bed: will a snail plow him down; will a bristleworm decide to make a meal of him; or will he just give up and disolve into the fake ocean waters.
I implore the gods: save him.

porky
04/11/2003, 12:32 PM
I have been able to grow a "colony" from just 2 polyps, so there may be hope!
Try direct feeding that always helps my zoo's :idea:

johnjr
04/11/2003, 12:57 PM
I've been mashing up brine shrimp with a bit of Seachem Reef Plus. Not sure if it's helping. What do you feed yours Porky?

freaky-lil-raver
04/12/2003, 09:33 PM
LMAO.... I Love the love you have for your zoos though... I wouldn't worry though, zoos seem pretty hardy.... Wishing you lots of luck!!

Mary

johnjr
04/12/2003, 09:52 PM
My love for the Lone Polyp has made me get rid of my turbo snails. They were knocking around the poor little polyp. And, when I woke up this morning I noticed the base of the polyp to be much more narrow, as if the snails were eating around it's base and shaving a little to much off the sides. I immediatly paniced, packed them up, and sent them off to the local fish store.

I imagine next I'll be hunting down bristleworms.

danieljames
04/12/2003, 10:06 PM
i'm feelin' ya johnjr......whats an elelemet? Should i be looking for those in my reef?

freaky-lil-raver
04/12/2003, 11:16 PM
really!?!? wouldn't think to worry about turbo snails... been looking to get a few myself.... hum.... maybe I will rethink that one.....

mary

johnjr
04/14/2003, 12:27 PM
When I woke up this monrning the "Lone Polyp" was gone. Something must of eaten him, since the rock was clean of any trace of his exsistance. I can only hope tha whatever got him doesn't continue it's rampage.

TS
04/14/2003, 11:09 PM
Hey Johnjr,

first of all the turbos had nothing to do with it. But they get on my freaking nerves, so I'm glad you got rid of them. Freaking bulldozers I tellya. :)

Do you have any peppermint shrimps?

I don't think anything ate your zos, sounds like they were all sick. Best thing to do in the future is a good blast of current.

I've had peppermints eat dying zo's, so I wouldn't be surprised if they took your lone polyp, but if so I'm guessing it was doomed to the same fate as its companions.

Sorry for your loss. Here's to trying again. :beer:

Travis

johnjr
04/15/2003, 02:10 AM
Travis, your probably right that it wasn't the snails, but they were driving me crazy knocking my smaller zoo rocks over. I don't have any peppermint shrimp, so I'm still unsure of the reason for their demise. Probably sickness like you said. I will definity be getting more to make up for the loss- at least that's my excuse.