PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

clemtiger00
04/11/2003, 11:13 AM
I currently have a 37 gallon AGA, that I am thinking of making a reef tank. I have found a Corallife Aqualight hood that puts has 2 X 65 Watts, would this be enough light for a wide variety of Corals, and not just mushrooms and the like.

Creade
04/11/2003, 12:59 PM
Does "A wide variety of corals" mean SPS as well as others? If you want SPS Id vote for more light. Softcorals, shrooms, polyps and what not I wouldnt see a problem as I have done it with great outcome with similiar setups.
If you want SPS, id recommend a halide, a single pendant makes a small tank look great.

Creade

clemtiger00
04/11/2003, 01:10 PM
I am pretty new to all this reef stuff, so what does SPS mean? Also wouldn't halides really bring up the temp on a smaller tank like mine. The biggest problem I am finding is finding any light hoods that are 30 " long to match my tank. Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that the hard or stony corals would need more light, but I didn't know if the lights I was thinking about would be enough.

wizardgus®
04/12/2003, 08:36 AM
These people have a 29" fixture with 3X55W PC and fan for like $210. That would allow probably for anything other than the more high light requirement corals.
http://www.petsupplyliquidator.com/htm/aprod_hood_ultrareef.htm