PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Overflow

CaptainK
04/11/2003, 07:08 AM
Hi All,
I was wondering if there was a small/cheap version to either buy or D.I.Y overflow. I only have a 29G tank and would like something to tide me over for the time being. I don't need anything fancy just something that will do.
I have a Mag 7 that is on the way that I was going to use in a closed loop with a SCWD. But now I am wondering if I could build a sump and use the Mag 7 attached to the SCWD as the return. So that is why I am asking about an overflow. Drilling is not an option for me with this tank. I just want something simple that will do the job, if it is all possible. Let me know your thoughts

Thanks,
CaptK

geo
04/11/2003, 07:33 AM
Quite a few people use the marineland tidepool overflow. I have not so couldn't comment on their performance. Have you looked in the for sale or trade forums or ebay?

ddenham
04/11/2003, 01:25 PM
Make one out of 2" and 1" PVC pipe. It's really easy and cheap.

ddenham
04/11/2003, 01:30 PM
double post:rolleye1:

CaptainK
04/11/2003, 01:49 PM
Build my own hang on the back overflow??? Anyone have any instructions?

Thanks for all the replies,
CaptK

ddenham
04/11/2003, 08:06 PM
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Unfortunately the plans I modified mine from are no longer online. this one (http://www.angelfire.com/ok/dog1/overflow.html) is similar. The only real difference is that I epoxied a 1" tee into the side of the outside pipe at the water line. I think I get about 350-400 gph throughput. I'm going to add a second one for additional flow, and some safe redundancy.

It's actually a fun project, albeit a tad stressful if it doesn't work right. What I like about this project is that it taught my alot about the ins and outs (haha) of these devices. oh yeah, I'm cheap too, so that's the other reason I had to make it work