PDA

View Full Version : What would be the best protein skimmer?

Jeremy S
04/10/2003, 09:18 PM
What would be the best protein skimmer for an AGA 65-gallon tank? This will be my first saltwater tank so I would like one that is easy to maintain, works well and that I could use with a sump. Thanks. :)

Zander
04/10/2003, 09:47 PM
I would use a Euro-reef type skimmer. You could get a ER CS6-1, an ES5-2, or a Southbay 6-1. Do a search on these skimmers, and you will find plenty of info...

Ant_Knee
04/10/2003, 10:58 PM
I'm using a Euroreef CS6-1 on my 75g RR and it's working great. Don't skimp on the skimmer!

Ant_Knee
04/10/2003, 10:59 PM
Oh and the euro-reef's are real easy to use. Plug-n-play setup!

Nanook
04/11/2003, 07:11 AM
I have no experience with Euroreef...but Lifereef makes an awesome venturi skimmer that can go in or out of the sump. It has a self-cleaning venturi and optional drain plug...very easy to clean and operate.

Nanook

grim
04/11/2003, 08:19 AM
I think I'll jump on this one..

There is no 'best' skimmer.. Only a good choice given a specific application. Skimmer posts always turn into a Jets vs Sharks all-out streetgang brawl. The Euroreefs vs. The Becketts.. It hasn't happened here yet, I guess the Becketts are out fighting on another corner.. ;)

I just picked up an HSA (Beckett) skimmer, I would have done a ER or ER-Clone if I had the sump space. These things seem to have very large footprints (unless, of course, you have the real-estate for them).

I'm very happy with the HSA, and I'm sure i'd have been very happy with the EuroReef, maybe slightly less happy with a clone, I like expensive and overbuilt (bombproof) things.

Your skimmer choice will be highly dependent on your bioload, but don't fret too much, there are a ton of folks here that don't run skimmers at all. Hell, I had my old skimmer out for 2 weeks while setting up the new one, and I didn't notice any changes in chemistry or livestock.

My only recommendation is you buy something half-decent, not junk, you'll regret the purchase if you do. Does that mean a $700 skimmer, no, not at all, but stay away from the sub $100 ones. Oh, one last thing, if you ever plan on going to a bigger tank, buy the bigger skimmer now.. Other than that, good luck!

jb

NAGA
04/11/2003, 02:39 PM
Tunze..........for ease of set up, consistant performer, ease of cleaning, low noise, and low power consumption.

stan
04/11/2003, 04:12 PM
i have a 120 reef and use a MR-2 skimmer from myreefcreations. one of the things i like about this skimmer is it has alot of options that can be done with it. example if i ever get a larger tank in the future i can expand it to fix a larger tank. i can run ozone through it with no problem which i do a couple days a week. i looked at alot of skimmers before i settled on it and im very pleased i did. also i was able to have it custom built to fit in my sump. the people at myreefcreations are excellent to deal with too.
happy reefin,
stan

moonpod
04/11/2003, 04:46 PM
Here's a vote for the aquac units. I love my EV240. Seriously, as long as you stick w/the major skimmer manufacturers, you'll be happy (ER, Aerofoamer, MRC, HSA, AquaC, Tunze etc...)

Riotfishdude
04/11/2003, 09:34 PM
:D ...becketts to the rescue.....

this topic is frequent and many times does end up in WW3,,like mentioned above,there are many good skimmers out there,the title of the thread should be "what are the worst skimmers",these are common and easily avoided,after seeing most run (i used to own a LFS),i run an Aerofoamer,until i have had mine,i have not seen a skimmer tha compares,they can be a little more costly to run then Euro-reefs and such,but are indeed superior,i will once again post the skimmer comparison link while hopefully not get bashed again from others that dont have there skimmer of choice in this link,it is a good read,and gives a decent short term idea on the Aerofoamer (long term is even better).....
http://www.thereefweb.com/skimmer_comparison.htm

and where is SeanT,i went and looked at the MRC website,read about there skimmers you rave about Sean,and now i know why!,they are Aerofoamer knock off's,all the way to the thumb screw's,o-rings and wording found at reefconcepts.com,just dont seem to have the clear acrylic sump area,and other minor differences in appearance...Riot.....

Fuzzy
04/12/2003, 12:36 PM
I just swapped our PM-1 Bullet for a Euroreef CS6-1 to be used on our AGA 90 reef tank. The PM-1 worked well but required a Mag 12 to run properly. It is very noisy, adds a bit of heat to the sump. But my primary reason for swapping it out is power consumption. The Mag draws 1.3 amps and I am limited on the amount of AC where our tank is located.

The Euroreef was very easy to install, and started producing thick skimmate in about an hour. No adjusting or tweaking at all, and is virtually silent. But best of all, the Sedra pump only draws 35 watts, a Huge plus in our application.

Hope this helps.

Fuzz

robsweet
04/12/2003, 10:29 PM
I've got a Tunze 230/3 and so far, it's great! It's rated for a slightly bigger tank than my 65 but I wanted to be able to upgrade my tank later without having to get a new skimmer. I also modified it to drain to an external skimmate collection container which I'd recommend for any skimmer. You go from emptying the cup every week or two to every few months.

My two bits...

Remorarules
04/13/2003, 12:08 AM
I bought a remora pro with a mag 3 2 months ago. Its a great hang on skimmer and made by aquaC. This skimmer surely does the job. Check out the website proteinskimmer.com. They have sump versions as well.

Aquamans Reef
04/13/2003, 08:44 AM
I have a 55G reeftank that when the lights come on it smells terrible for an hour or so, can anyone add some insite on this. Thanks in advance Joe

NTAnnin
04/13/2003, 01:25 PM
If you are looking for a cheaper option than the Euro and still a great skimmer you might consider WWW.proteinskimmer.com and check out the Urchin Pro skimmer. It would be great for your size tank and if you ever went slightly bigger on tank size or wanted a heavy bio-load this skimmer would do the job for you. Like i said it is slightly cheaper so that is always nice. And very easy to use and clean. Get the better pump if you get this one. You can find it at WWW.marinedepot.com and they package it well and usually give free shipping. I just got the hang on one called the Remora Pro and it is working very well.