PDA

View Full Version : Do insump pumps heat the water up?

corey lance
04/10/2003, 06:02 PM
Do they heat the water up alot more in the sump then if they are outside the sump?

Thanks

Doug
04/10/2003, 06:49 PM
Hi Corey,

Yes they can and some more than others. I have used Mag drive pumps, both internally and externally and have noticed a minimum of 2 degrees difference and even more with the larger pumps when used externally.

The total amount of water will also impact the temperature. A Mag12 pump, 1200 gph, will make a 30 gallon take run warmer than it would a 90 gallon tank because of the volume of water.

corey lance
04/10/2003, 07:15 PM
I have a 90g with a 30g sump , I was told not to use mag pumps outside of the tank is this not true? I was also told the rainbow quietone external was a god pump. I need two pumps one for my protien skimmer and one for return.

Doug
04/10/2003, 07:57 PM
Hi Corey,

I have been using Mag pumps outside my tank for a long time. I have had a Mag18 running in a closed loop running for about a year now.

Below is a quote from the following site:

http://www.greenair.com/magdrive.htm#MAG-DRIVE

Rugged enough for continuous duty, submerged or in-line. Comes standard with a 10' power cord.

I currently have three Mag pumps on my 90g tank. The first (internal) is running my return which is a Mag950, the second (internal) is a Mag18 running my Skimmer and the third (external) is a Mag18 running my closed loop system.

I can't comment on the Rainbow pumps since I have never used them before.

SteveB_reefster
04/10/2003, 08:28 PM
Hi again Corey.

Mag pumps used outside the sump tend to leak. Both heat the water nicely. I put a Mag 36 as a pump for a large protein skimmer and got a 4 degree increase. Out it went. You might consider getting one pump for both the PS and the return pump. You just need to Tee the line and put valves on each line to regulate flow.

I have a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump and an internal overflow with a 1" drain. I am using a Dolphin 2100 open all the way up. I have Teed the return line to 2 1" seaswirls. This is my softies and LPS tank and it is an excellent set-up. The price for a 2100 vs a 3000 is very little. If I were you, purchase the Dolphin 3000 and make certain to put a gate valve on the pump so you can easily throttle this back.

Steve

corey lance
04/10/2003, 09:22 PM
Thanks I see what you are saying but how will I know how many gph is going to my skimmer?

SteveB_reefster
04/10/2003, 09:51 PM
Have you purchased a skimmer?

Steve

corey lance
04/10/2003, 09:57 PM
yes it is a insump and it said it runs good at 650-900gph. Will the water temp increase more with a pump in the sump or with it out of the sump?

SteveB_reefster
04/10/2003, 10:00 PM
Do you mean that is some type of built-in unit? I need a bit more specifics to be helpful for you.

Steve

corey lance
04/10/2003, 10:12 PM
it is a insump skimmer, It is the nautilus Te it dumps the water right back into the sump. It has an adjustable pipe to raise and lower water level in skimmer.

corey lance
04/10/2003, 10:13 PM
sorry it just sits in the sump not fixed in there

SteveB_reefster
04/10/2003, 10:23 PM
Here is the website for your skimmer. They recommend a strong pressure pump like a Mag.
http://www.kentmarine.com/html/nte.html

Is this an acyrlic sump? If so, order a 1.5" bulkhead, a 1.5"PVC Tee, a 3/4" ball valve, a 1.5" gate valve, 2 1" Sea Swirls and you will have some great flow for the LPS and softies. You could also keep a few SPS up at the top of the tank with adequate lighting. I take it that you have some equipment but are trying to set this up correctly?

Steve

corey lance
04/10/2003, 10:30 PM
yes I have metal halides and my tank and 30g sump I just dont have in plumed in. thanks for all your help. I can pu t 1 and1.5 inch lines in even if my return is 3/4.

SteveB_reefster
04/10/2003, 10:33 PM
Corey,

I don't follow. The return line is the line going from the pump to the tank in most aquarium lingo.

Do you mean to say that you have a 3/4" drain line on your tank from a built in overflow?

Steve

corey lance
04/10/2003, 10:38 PM
I mean return line going from sump to tank. I dont have it hooked up yet i have a 55 salt water fish tank this is my first 90 tank reef with a sump. I thought my 1inch was my overflow and my 3/4 was my return maybe im wrong.

SteveB_reefster
04/10/2003, 10:50 PM
I understand. The 1" is your drain and the 3/4" is your return to the tank. So you have a corner overflow. Sounds like a Tenecor tank. I have one of those. You will need to build a Durso standpipe for noise control. You are doing a good job investigating this before you hook everything up. This is a great site. Search the post archieves and you will find alot of information. I usually hang out in the advanced forum, but the hardware was moved to a new list, so I am happy to help out is I can.

Definitely, purchase a 1" SS for the right side of the tank. Then what would I do for the left. I will think about this a bit. My first impression is to buy another 1" SS for the left side of the tank. Are you on a tight budget? If not, you could use the 3/4" on the left, but will not be that happy with it. My 90 gallon has a center overflow with a integral return system. I have capped that off at the bulkhead in the bottom and have a 1" SS on the left and the right and couldn't be happier. A few additional powerheads on a wavemaker unit would be a nice addition, especially if you are going to try SPS. I would go with that initially until you have proven success with easier to keep species (e.g. sarcophytons, etc).

There a many ways of doing it. I am trying to think about money and the best system possible. Hopefully, this is not completely contradictory.

Steve

corey lance
04/10/2003, 10:59 PM
I have the overflow kit with the nozzle on the left side of the tank, what can I change that to a SS.

Also I have no clue to what a Durso standpipe is or how to build one.

Thanks again

SteveB_reefster
04/10/2003, 11:00 PM
Is this a built in internal overflow or a hang on the back overflow?

Steve

corey lance
04/10/2003, 11:04 PM
built in

SteveB_reefster
04/10/2003, 11:05 PM
For an internal overflow, you will want something to reduce the noise - a Durso standpipe is great http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe_menu.htm.

Steve

Ant_Knee
04/10/2003, 11:07 PM
do a search on durso, standpipe, and for smaller areas the ken stockman modification.

http://www.rl180reef.com/frames.htm

here's a link to ron durso's webpage and look for the standpipe link.

This is a picture of the stockman modification:

http://home.att.net/~rstockman/overflow.htm

Enjoy!

corey lance
04/10/2003, 11:09 PM
Thanks I know you are getting off of here me to but the web site you gave me is not found for some reason. if you can tell me where to look that would be great or I can try it again later

thanks so much take care

corey lance
04/10/2003, 11:10 PM
I got it thanks

SteveB_reefster
04/10/2003, 11:14 PM
The "built in nozzle" is a fitting for the return line. Water goes from the pump to the 3/4" bulkhead in the bottom of the overflow box and then out that little fitting. If you have a SS on the right, you are going to be really unhappy with static flow from the fitting. I would plug the 3/4" bulkhead and hang a second SS in front of the corner overflow box. Again, these are my suggestions and you can do this many different ways. However, if you maximize flow, you will have a much easier time with the SPS and you will love the look of your softies in the SS flow. Ask anyone with SS and they will agree. The major downside of the SS is the expense.

FWIW,

Steve